BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 328i I'm currently driving is the first BMW I ever drove and absolutely love it. Next March (2017), my lease will end and I'm looking to lease a convertible roadster. I obviously looked into Boxster as well, but I'm just not a fan of having to pick between 100 different options. So I'm leaning more and more towards staying as a loyal customer.

However, one small qualm I have about the Z4's is that only the 28i is available in manual transmission. Starting with my first car, I've been driving a manual for all these years and I don't plan on stopping. It kills me inside that the 35i is not available with a stick shift. With that being said, is it worth it to drop the manual and go with the 35i? Is there a marked difference between the two?

Have you test driven both? If you picked the 35i, what made you?

Any insights will be appreciated.

·
Serial Leasee
843 Posts
28i + JB4
35i + JB4
35is ... Don't need to do anything and it has sport exhaust already.

All depends if you want to mod it yourself or take it as factory package.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I'm not a fan of modifying cars, so I'll be keeping everything factory stock. If I'm leasing, I don't think I can mod it anyway? Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Have you driven any of the 3? What was your experience like?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can modify leased cars, as long as you reverse the modifications before returning the lease.

Your manual vs DCT dilemma is entirely up to you. I recently sold my Boxster Manual and purchased 3.5 with DCT because I didn't want to shift on my daily commute.

3 and 4 series convertibles are nice, but different. If you need the additional seats (occasionally), then it might be a better choice for you. I had a M3 Convertible with DCT.

Where in NJ are you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. When you went from Boxster manual to Z4 auto, how did it feel? I know NJ has horrible roads and traffic, but I still enjoy shifting.

I'm in East Brunswick. My office is in Franklin Lakes and I head there about once a week via 287.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Honestly for daily driving I have no regrets.

East Brunswick to Franklin Lakes is a hike. I drive to Hoboken every day, and the roads near Holland Tunnel absolutely suck, and the stop and go traffic is just killer. I still have a manual gearbox car so it doesn't bother me too much to give it up for daily driving.

·
BMW Snow Plow User
2,233 Posts
Well, the 35i is available in manual. Oh in the US? No.

I think either way is fine. The 28i engine can move that car. The 8-speed sport transmission is a solid performer, shifts quickly and locks up properly between shifts. If you don't drive DCT cars too often it doesn't feel bad.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have both a '11 Z4 35is and a '16 435xi Convertible. The 435 is my daily driver and while I like both, the Z4 is way more fun to drive. The DCT is great! I would not hesitate to get the DCT again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 328i I'm currently driving is the first BMW I ever drove and absolutely love it. Next March (2017), my lease will end and I'm looking to lease a convertible roadster. I obviously looked into Boxster as well, but I'm just not a fan of having to pick between 100 different options. So I'm leaning more and more towards staying as a loyal customer.

However, one small qualm I have about the Z4's is that only the 28i is available in manual transmission. Starting with my first car, I've been driving a manual for all these years and I don't plan on stopping. It kills me inside that the 35i is not available with a stick shift. With that being said, is it worth it to drop the manual and go with the 35i? Is there a marked difference between the two?

Have you test driven both? If you picked the 35i, what made you?

Any insights will be appreciated.
Don't let a great car go by because the 35is is only available with DCT.
It's awesome and versatile and you can drive it just like you would a manual for the most part...only you can shift faster than anyone could a 6 speed.
Think Formula 1.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. It's looking more and more like I'll need to move on from manual. I'll definitely keep an open mind.

Appreciate everyone's feedback.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I heard the new Audi Tts is awesome
Before I bought my Z4, I thought I wanted a TT so I started looking for one. I had always like the car since it first came out. First, I drove one that was about 10 years old. I was very disappointed. The car was a rattle trap and the suspension so loose that you really couldn't drive it but I kept looking. In the end, I drove many, all roadsters, and came away with the same impression every time. I drove cars anywhere from 10 years to 3 years old and the impression I got was that the car was just not a solidly built car. With the top down, the windshield frame moved/shook at the top. This is something that my Z4 has never done, even on the roughest roads. As a side note, about a year ago I had the opportunity to drive a co-worker's new S5 convertible and came away with the same impression. The Audi coupes seem to be fine, but when they start cutting the tops off, it seems that a lot of the rigidity is lost. I had always thought that Audi were some of the nicest looking cars on the roads, but after my experiences driving several different cars, I don't think I could bring myself to own one, at least on with a removable top.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I was referring to new generation. Tts 2016
The older one is crap compared to z4
I have the 35is and no regrets
I have the 35is as well and it is a great car. My point above is in my opinion, Audi does not make great drop top cars. I would hesitate recommending one to anyone based on a possibly biased review of a new model. My co-workers new, $75,000 S5 exhibited the same characteristics as the used TT's that I drove.

·
Registered
16 Posts
drove a '12 35i, was ok. own a '13 35is.
i love the 35is, but i wouldn't buy a lesser model. i would actually like to have more power. unless you just use it for cruising around lightly, i don't see how the 4cyls can compare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a 6-speed 28i and LOVE this car. It's just as fast as the 35i but gets much better gas mileage (I get around 26mpg all around with hard driving and can get over 30 on the highway). The 35is is the one to get if you get a 6 cylinder but gas mileage sucks and you'll be spending as much time filling it up at the gas station as you will driving and will end up leaving it parked to avoid having to fill up every couple of days. It's also a lot more expensive.

The 2.0 turbo is an absolutely brilliant engine with loads of power and great throttle response - it feels like a muscle car and still does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. The slightly lower weight and better weight distribution than the 6 cylinder also makes it a better roadster. The manual trans experience is really great too on this car, it is really rewarding and engaging to drive this car with a manual, more so than other manuals I have driven. Who wants a sexy sport roadster with an automatic?? :thumbdwn:

I think the only benefit of the 6-cylinder is better exhaust sound (and of course faster for the 35is) but you lose so much in gas mileage I just don't see the point unless you get the 35is and straight line acceleration is the most important thing to you. BMW really did their homework with the 4 cylinder and it is a wonderful engine that really mates well to this car and offers no loss in performance compared to the 35i.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a 6-speed 28i and LOVE this car. It's just as fast as the 35i but gets much better gas mileage (I get around 26mpg all around with hard driving and can get over 30 on the highway). The 35is is the one to get if you get a 6 cylinder but gas mileage sucks and you'll be spending as much time filling it up at the gas station as you will driving and will end up leaving it parked to avoid having to fill up every couple of days. It's also a lot more expensive.

The 2.0 turbo is an absolutely brilliant engine with loads of power and great throttle response - it feels like a muscle car and still does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. The slightly lower weight and better weight distribution than the 6 cylinder also makes it a better roadster. The manual trans experience is really great too on this car, it is really rewarding and engaging to drive this car with a manual, more so than other manuals I have driven. Who wants a sexy sport roadster with an automatic??

I think the only benefit of the 6-cylinder is better exhaust sound (and of course faster for the 35is) but you lose so much in gas mileage I just don't see the point unless you get the 35is and straight line acceleration is the most important thing to you. BMW really did their homework with the 4 cylinder and it is a wonderful engine that really mates well to this car and offers no loss in performance compared to the 35i.
Thanks for this post. I always felt that my 328i pulls sufficient power for me to enjoy driving. More power can't hurt, but I don't think I really want to let go the joy of shifting. Right now, I'm at a crossroad between a SC S2000 and a 28i.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for this post. I always felt that my 328i pulls sufficient power for me to enjoy driving. More power can't hurt, but I don't think I really want to let go the joy of shifting. Right now, I'm at a crossroad between a SC S2000 and a 28i.
S2000 is a great car but gas mileage is poor - 18 city/ 24 hwy for non-supercharged version.

Also the S2000 has one of the most cramped cabins of any car on the road (less space than NC Miata), be sure to drive one before you decide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup, I'll be test driving one this weekend. I'm not too concerned about the gas mileage since I'm not looking for a DD.

Did you lease your 28i? If so, what were your options and how much are you paying per month?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts