Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Research Project: What is your personality & what fluids do you prefer for your BMW?

This simple "research project" is designed to help us advise newbies as to what gas, oil, and coolant to use when they ask the inevitable question.

The only thing asked of you is:
a) Your Myers-Briggs personality profile, coupled with ...
b) Your gas, oil, and coolant preference.

One possible hypothesis is that our gas, oil, and coolant preferences "might" be tied to our personality types, more so than to the vehicle itself. Hence, if that holds water, we can best advise others, simply by asking them what their personality is.

But that's just an hypothesis, to either be proven out, or not, by the results (which, if public, will allow all of us to analyze the data to see if we can conclude anything from it).

ACTION FOR YOU:
1. Please take this free test based on Carl Jung’s and Isabel Briggs Myers’ typological approach to personality.
2. Please tell us what fluids you use for coolant, oil, and gasoline.

That's it!

The goal is to see if there is any correlation between your Myers-Brigg's personality profile (E:I, S:N, T:F, J:p), and your most comfortable choice of (religious) fluids.

If we can come to a consensus, then, we can better advise the inevitable newbie who asks what (oil,gas,coolant,etc.), by asking them what their personality is.

As I am wont to do, I will embarrass myself first, by disclosing "my" personality profile along with my most comfortable choice of fluids:
ESTP Extravert(100%) Sensing(1%) Thinking(25%) Perceiving(56%)

• You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (100%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
  • You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (56%)

My fluid choices are:
a. Gasoline = Costco/Safeway/Moe's Gas cheapest I can find (usually 87AKI)
b. Motor Oil = Mobil1 synthetic (any weight) at Costco (although I'm currently running Costco dino juice)
c. Coolant = Prestone green (although I'm currently running water)

PLEASE VOLUNTEER TO HELP OUT BY...
1. Taking this this 5-minute free test
2. Report your results (the percentages are very important!)
3. Tell us what gas,oil, and coolant you feel most comfortable using

Note: The beauty of a public test is that it shows us all whatever it shows, so, any initial hypothesis is unimportant as it may or may not hold water.

Attachments

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Explanations of the 16 personality types abound on the net:
(Note: All personalities are equal - in that none are good, none are bad; it's just how we're wired.)
- Wikipedia
- Personal Pathways
- Myers-Briggs.org
etc.

Having read many Myers-Brigg's descriptions, here's just "my" simple understanding of the four categories:

1. How you interact with the world (focused inward)
    • e.g., how you "energize" around people
  2. How you gather data (before you make a decision)
    • e.g., how you internalize any situation
  3. How you make your decisions (after you have the data)
    • e.g., how you act on the data you have
  4. How you prefer the world to interact with you (focused outward)
    • e,.g., how you order your life & how you prefer others to order theirs
Personally, I think #1 and #4 go together, in that the (1) is how you act around people, while (4) is how you prefer people to act around you.

I think #2 and #3 go hand in hand in that (2) is, essentially, how you gather data to make decisions, while (3) is how you make that decision once you have all the data that you feel you need.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
I (22%)
N (25%)
T (75%)
J (22%)
Gas - Premium (93), any brand but prefer a name brand (e.g. Mobil, Shell, etc.)
Oil - Mobil One 5W-30, (bought at BJs)
Coolant - BMW, (because I change this so infrequently)

Bottom line, my "thriftiness" influences my choices more than anything else. But when it comes to parts, I almost always go OEM (Lemforder, Sachs, Behr, etc.) except for the radiator (Nissens) and the WP (Hepu) because I don't want to have to redo a job.

Clearly I also do not read directions!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(38%) Judging(22%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

Ahem, don't agree much with the test, many questions badly worded, skews results. I am more intro than extrovert. The other results are suspect.

I think Oil is all important, the "blood" of the engine. I change it every 5k (it would be 3k if I lived in a big city). I use BMW LL01 labeled oil, currently Mobil 1 0w40, but may switch to Castrol now that they have an equivalent on the US market. I find Castrol to keep an engine quieter than Mobil.

Gas: Don't care, whatever is cheap. I have no way of knowing that generic gas (Costco etc) isn't coming from Shell or Chevron, don't have time to research everything about it and have never had a car develop any problems in a million miles or so of driving mostly high-performance machines. (Though I did use Sunoco 260 in the early seventies in my 340 'Cuda). Highest octane of course.

Coolant: I think the players have reached common ground. Any major brand is OK, just use one that says "Good for all makes and models." There were times in the past twenty years when VW and other makes started using "custom color" coolants that may have had special properties but now I think Prestone et al have covered their bases.

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for being the first "datapoint", in this informal "study".
The percentages can be extremely important, because, as you can see from my profile results, a low percentage can go either way (e.g., I'm apparently 1% Sensing, which could just as easily have shown up as 1% Intuitive when it comes to gathering data).

What that means, in my case (spoiler alert) is that I take in data roughly any way I can, but, if the number is to believed, I take in data 51% by Sensing inputs (e.g., seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, googling, asking, etc.) and 49% by Intuition.

Point is that I'm neither an S (sensing) nor an N (intuitive), I'm both, roughly about equally, which means (to me) that I take in data by a variety of methods, while others (e.g., someone 100% intuitive) would not be able to handle the data (because they just "know" the answer, without needing much data).

On the other hand, the fact I show up as 100% Extroverted means I'm not likely to ever be in the Introvert category, so, if someone is strongly one way or the other, the 4-letter assessment won't change, but, if they're weakly one way or the other, then the 4-letter assessment doesn't really indicate the true picture.

Put into a 4-letter assessment, for example, I'm more ExxP than I am ESTP (or maybe ExtP would show strong E, half-S-half-I, weak t, and strong P), meaning something like:

• Strong E (100%)
    • Nobody would mistake me for an introvert!
    • On a scale of 100: Basically I energize 100% around people, 0% alone
  • Half-S-Half-I (1%)
    • I gather data any way I can get it, as much as possible
    • On a scale of 100: Basically, I gather data 51% and I intuit inputs the other 49% of the time
  • Weak t (25%)
    • I make decisions based on both thinking & feeling, but mostly hard logical thinking
    • On a scale of 100: Basically, I'm about 75% thinking & 25% feeling in my decisions
  • Strong P (56%)
    • On a scale of 100: I expect people to be open-minded for the most part, but to also follow some rules
    • Basically, about 56% of the time, I'm not all that organized nor do I expect myself and others to blindly follow the rules, but, 44% of the time, I expect others to be organized and to strictly follow the rules, whatever they may be (because they are rules).
Point is, the percentage (can) matter, unless you're nearly 100% on each! :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I 22%
S 12%
T 38%
J 56%

Gasoline: QuikTrip Premium 91 Octane (QT is the most reputable gas station in my area)
Oil: I use Castrol 0w40 previously Mobil 1 0w40
Coolant: BMW Coolant

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
INTJ

I (11%)
N (25%)
T (12%)
J (44%)
Gas - Premium (93), I go more by known good gas from a particular station than brand name.
Oil - Mobil One
Coolant - Green and never change it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
ENTJ

Extravert(1%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(88%) Judging(33%)

Never thought I was that polar, (bi-polar, perhaps lol)

Mobil 1 synthetic 0-40
93 octane generally from Shell (have rewards points that give me anywhere from $0.20-$1.00 off per gallon)
My indy uses BMW coolant

·
Registered
38 Posts
Test Results

Introvert 78%
Sensing 50%
Thinking 25%
Judging 33%

Gas - Always Premium, Shell if available
Oil - Castrol Synthetic 0W-40
Coolant - BMW

Other favorite fluids: Jack on the rocks.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
E (11%)
S (25%)
F (12%)
J (44%)

Gas: QuickTrip/Top tier supplier. Or whatever close-by when I was running out of gas. Always highest grade.
Oil: Mobil1 Synthetic
Coolant: BMW Antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Introvert(33%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(62%) Judging(56%)

Gas: cheapest
Oil: 0W30 latest spec
Coolant: whatever is on the shelf

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
ISTJ

Fuel - Premium (Top Tier Designation)
Erl - Mobil 1 0W-40 (LL-01 Compliant)
Coolant - Pentosin Pentofrost (Supposedly BMW original fill)

Why, not because I infer these are required but because I can, so I might as well use as close to possible to the original fill.

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So Dr. BB, what conclusions, if any, can you draw from these responses?
I don't want to accidentally affect the results by making a preliminary prediction ... but, as you had surmised, I do have an hypothesis.

Suffice to say, in general terms, what I'm looking at, mostly, is the strength of the N/S (how people gather data on fluids, especially when that data is readily available so it matters where they put the most weight), F/T (how people act differently given the same fluid data that everyone else has), and/or J/P (how people prefer to order their lives and how they expect others to order their lives with respect to BMW recommendations).

The E/I (Extrovert/Introvert) strength (which is how a person energizes), isn't a component of the hypothesis, and will be thrown away unless it seems to be correlated with the fluid choice.

One would initially think the F/T (Feeling decisions versus Thinking decisions) would be the most predictive, since it's how people make decisions (but let's see if that is born out by the data set).

To make analysis easier, I plan to look first at the few results closest to 100%, because they're probably more strongly type specific; but we will look at all the results before drawing conclusions.

Overall, I'm expecting, but will await more data, that the stronger the N (intuition), the F (feeling), and/or the J (judgmental), the more BMW Marketing oriented the user will be (but we must have more data first, as that's just an hypothesis).
On the other hand, I'm expecting the stronger the S (sensing), the T (thinking), and/or the P (perceptive), the more the person will lean toward any fluid that meets the technical spec, which, we note, also often meets the marketing spec.

If the data bears that hypothesis out, it will then be interesting to then see which of the three factors (data input, decision output, or ordering of life) is the most predictive of fluid choices.

However, lest we get ahead of ourselves, we must bear in mind that my initial hypothesis doesn't actually matter one bit, unless the data actually bears it out.
The good news is that the data will, inevitably show, whatever the data will show ... so we need a few more data points ... before we begin the initial assessment.

·
Registered
129 Posts
INFJ

I (22%); N (50%); F (38%); J 78%

BP or Mobil Mid or Super
Mobil 1 5W-30
Prestone

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
I don't want to actually affect the results by making a preliminary prediction ... but, as you had surmised, I do have an hypothesis.

Suffice to say, in general terms, what I'm looking at, mostly, is the strength of the N/S (how people gather data on fluids, especially when that data is readily available so it matters where they put the most weight), F/T (how people act differently given the same fluid data that everyone else has), and/or J/P (how people prefer to order their lives and how they expect others to order their lives with respect to BMW recommendations).

The E/I strength isn't at all in the hypothesis (which is how a person energizes), and will be thrown away unless it seems to be correlated with the fluid choice.
One would initially think the F/T would be the most predictive, since it's how people make decisions (but let's see if that is born out by the data set).

To make analysis easier, I plan to look first at the few results closest to 100%, because they're probably more strongly type specific; but we will look at all the results before drawing conclusions.

Overall, I'm expecting, but will await more data, that the stronger the N, the F, and/or the J, the more BMW Marketing oriented the user will be (but we must have more data first, as that's just an hypothesis).
On the other hand, I'm expecting the stronger the S, the T, and/or the P, the more the person will lean toward any fluid that meets the technical spec, which also meets the marketing spec.

If the data bears that hypothesis out, it will then be interesting to then see which of the three factors (data input, decision output, or ordering of life) is the most predictive of fluid choices.

However, lest we get ahead of ourselves, we must bear in mind that my initial hypothesis doesn't actually matter one bit, unless the data actually bears it out.
The good news is that the data will, inevitably show, whatever the data will show ... so we need a few more data points ... before we begin the initial assessment.
Interesting. I'm also interested to see what this says about e39 owners too. It seems we (collectively) lean towards the I and J, with you being the notable extroverted exception. Most interesting...

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It seems we (collectively) lean towards the I and J, with you being the notable extroverted exception. Most interesting...
We do have an old thread on the personality types of E39 owners, in general, but it doesn't contain the concomitant information about fluid choices.
- What is the PERSONALITY profile of the typical E39 forum member?

It seems we (collectively) lean towards the I and J, with you being the notable extroverted exception.
We might note that I didn't set out to buy a BMW when I had bought mine, so, I may be atypical of E39 owners (it was just a car, to me).

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
That is interesting.

We might note that I didn't set out to buy a BMW when I had bought mine.
It was just the car that the neighbor, whom I had trusted, was selling.

So, I didn't set out to buy a bimmer. The bimmer bought me! :)
Thats about how I got into them. A customer had one and I just bought it. Wasnt crazy about the car and expected a good gas mileage grocery getting for the wife.

Umm she never got the e46 I bought. It infected me on the way home. I couldnt let it go. So I ended up buying her the e39. She wasnt getting the e46 away from me :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts