BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I can't decide between making hotel reservations for each night of our trip, or only making reservations in Munich and then finding places to stay as we drive (Austria, Italy, Germany). We are both big planners so the idea of not having everything laid out ahead of time is a little daunting but much more exciting and freeing. Does anyone have any experience with the "fly-by-night" touring method? Any suggestions, hints, warnings?!
Thanks!
Betsy
35 days and counting!!!!
 

·
Powder Days
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
I vote "Wing it"

We have been to Europe many times and our usual practice is to have a hotel prebooked the first night and the last night and "wing it" the rest of the time unless we are staying for a while in places like London, Amsterdam, Florence, etc. The good times far outway the bad experiences. If this is not structure enough, pick a couple of intemediate stops and pre book those and wing it the rest of the time looking for "Zimmer Frei" (Rooms available).

If one is hurying to meet a schedule every day, one sometimes misses a lot of opportunities to explore a place you really like in the rush to get to the next stop. One also can be stuck in a place you would want to leave because you prefer another location and have to give up your prepaid lodgings.

On the other hand, if this is a first time, a structured trip coupled with a nav system or good maps, eases the worry factor. Still, remember you will have great wheels and it is not as though you are crossing the Australian Outback. :thumbup:

Cheers
 

·
Color blind photographer
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
X3 Skier said:
We have been to Europe many times and our usual practice is to have a hotel prebooked the first night and the last night and "wing it" the rest of the time unless we are staying for a while in places like London, Amsterdam, Florence, etc. The good times far outway the bad experiences. If this is not structure enough, pick a couple of intemediate stops and pre book those and wing it the rest of the time looking for "Zimmer Frei" (Rooms available).

If one is hurying to meet a schedule every day, one sometimes misses a lot of opportunities to explore a place you really like in the rush to get to the next stop. One also can be stuck in a place you would want to leave because you prefer another location and have to give up your prepaid lodgings.

On the other hand, if this is a first time, a structured trip coupled with a nav system or good maps, eases the worry factor. Still, remember you will have great wheels and it is not as though you are crossing the Australian Outback. :thumbup:

Cheers
I'll second X3 Skier's information and recommendations. The big cities may be more difficult but normally finding lodging is not difficult and can often open up opportunities you may otherwise not find.
 

·
Happily Driving
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Bring along a list of places you'd like to stay (do a little research on this) but then wing it. :)
 

·
Using SPF 45
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
Me530 said:
Bring along a list of places you'd like to stay (do a little research on this) but then wing it. :)
Yeah, I'd suggest doing that if you're going to wing it. There are arguments either way, and you probably know them. But I'd at least have a couple of leading candidates in each city you plan to hit for a night, so you're not starting completely from scratch.
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,696 Posts
This all depends on whether you are going to places where every last hotel room will be sold out - not uncommon - or not. Very easy to wing it if you are not heading to destinations where there will be no rooms, no ,,Zimmer Frei`` signs.
 

·
Powder Days
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
Good Thought

To avoid being shut out as Jspira cautions, one should leave early to get to the next stop, get the remaining Frei Zimmer, and then do the exploring in the location or surrounding area.

That's a drawback that I have ocasionally experienced since I am an early riser whilst mein Frau is a late riser. OTOH, then it will be her fault and not mine if the inn is full. :thumbup:

Cheers
 

·
Using SPF 45
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
X3 Skier said:
That's a drawback that I have ocasionally experienced since I am an early riser whilst mein Frau is a late riser. OTOH, then it will be her fault and not mine if the inn is full. :thumbup:

Cheers
In theory that sounds right. In practice, it's still your fault.
 

·
Powder Days
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
Tanning machine said:
In theory that sounds right. In practice, it's still your fault.
How true! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
It's still your fault because you did not prevent her from making the mistake... At least that's what my better-half told me..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
As many have said I would book big cities and wing the rest. FYI what I did twice while on ED was go to an internet cafe and use priceline to bid on a room for that night. You can use priceline once you are there for larger cities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Many Europeans do not reserve rooms ahead of time on their vacations. Compared to the US, this results in a large number of available rooms at the beginning of each day, but they also fill up faster.

Winging should work well unless there is a special event in the city where you want to stay. In my pre-Bimmer days, I once spend the night in the Amsterdam train station because some festival was going on.

Personally, due to various mishaps experienced in 14 years of frequent travel, I never travel anywhere without booking in advance.

Whichever way you go depends upon your desire to plan and your risk tolerance.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top