BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone try this on X5. Just read this on the 7 series board and wondering if this would do the same trick on the X5 as well.

Hi All,

Has anyone tried this on their 2006/2007 5/6/7 Series:

Insert the Key to into the key fob (DON'T HOLD THE BRAKE).
Press the Start Button ONCE, just so the car electronics start and show the Engine light is on. (Again, Don't START the Engine).
Press and HOLD the GAS PEDAL all the way to the force down click on the gas pedal for 25 seconds.
After those 25 Seconds, proceed to Starting the Engine and drive your car.

Now, do you notice that the car responds better and shifts better, or is this just me????

I know, that in some Audi cars, you can reset the transmissions learning algorithm by doing this. Those with ZF tranny's.

Thanks

Danny Z

· Registered
166 Posts
huh?

Why would re-resetting the transmissions shifting algorithms "improve" the performance of the cars behavior?

If in fact the car is adjusting its shifting patterns to personalize itself to your style of driving, then the experience should improve over time not degrade such that the "default" was detectably "better"

what am I missing here?

· Registered
1,523 Posts
I had my gear box serviced / fixed and software changed. BMW recommends to reset the transmission in such a case. I heard that if the gear box does not work smoothly, before trying to fix anything mechanicaly, it is worth to reset it.

· Registered
18 Posts
I searched this a while back and if I recall correctly -- there are several discussions that concluded that this technique does not apply to the X5. The dealer has to reset. Larry, I agree -- but for some reason, my X5 has a throttle delay (from standstill) and I've read on here that resetting the transmission can eradicate it, so I will likely have this done when I have time. The ultimate driving machine, so long as you don't have to pull out of a side street or make a left turn on a busy street.

· Registered
502 Posts
I did it with 5 series diesel - it worked
I did this on my 2012 X5d and it worked SO much better! Also, I did it on my previous 2008 328i and it was like night and day difference.
kanar200 and justinestes21:

Did either of you see a significant difference with the lag f4iamad is describing?

I searched this a while back and if I recall correctly -- there are several discussions that concluded that this technique does not apply to the X5. The dealer has to reset. Larry, I agree -- but for some reason, my X5 has a throttle delay (from standstill) and I've read on here that resetting the transmission can eradicate it, so I will likely have this done when I have time. The ultimate driving machine, so long as you don't have to pull out of a side street or make a left turn on a busy street.
It's not your X5 only, trust me. This is a known X5d issue. Both my 2010 X5d and current 2012 X5d have it and I hate it. Some people say it's a tranny problem, in which case I can see how reprogramming the transmission might work. Others say it's a turbo lag issue in which case I don't see how reprogramming the transmission would fix the problem. I am tempted to try it anyway. Does anyone know of or can anyone think of a downside to trying this trick; could any damage result from it? Thanks.

· Registered
21 Posts

Did either of you see a significant difference with the lag f4iamad is describing?

When I reset the 328i the "turbo lag" went away (which it should have since it wasn't a turbo) but the X5d still has a slight turbo lag but not as prominent. I bought the 328i from a little old lady who only drove 18,000 miles in 3 years and the transmission had adapted to her driving style. It started in 2nd gear and would only downshift to a lower gear if I pressed the peddle to the floor. After I reset it, it drove more like the DS mode but not as jerky and didn't hold the gears as long. much more responsive though..

The X5d was a loaner with 5,000 miles on it when I bought it.. It had a slight delay but nothing like the 328i but I decided to reset the transmission just in case. After doing so the performance was better but not nearly as dramatic as with the 328i. The turbo lag on the diesel doesn't seem quite as bad as on the gasoline V6 X5 that I test drove.

The only downside is that it adapts to your normal driving conditions after 1,000 miles or so and will automatically slot you into a predefined driving pattern. You may like it, you may hate it. If you hate it, reset it again. I tend to hate it because I don't always drive the car the same way but I would still like the ability to drive it any way I choose. For instance, I don't drive fast or aggressive on my morning commute, however I drive the opposite on my evening commute and/or on the weekends. I could just use the DS mode if I want to drive more aggressive but that's something you have to plan in advance. If I need to merge quickly I may not have time to shift into DS and would prefer the standard transmission to be responsive. If that makes any sense.. In other words, it doesn't always slot you into a predefined driving pattern that perfectly matches how you drive 100% of the time.

· Registered
502 Posts
:dunno:

When I reset the 328i the "turbo lag" went away (which it should have since it wasn't a turbo) but the X5d still has a slight turbo lag but not as prominent. I bought the 328i from a little old lady who only drove 18,000 miles in 3 years and the transmission had adapted to her driving style. It started in 2nd gear and would only downshift to a lower gear if I pressed the peddle to the floor. After I reset it, it drove more like the DS mode but not as jerky and didn't hold the gears as long. much more responsive though..

The X5d was a loaner with 5,000 miles on it when I bought it.. It had a slight delay but nothing like the 328i but I decided to reset the transmission just in case. After doing so the performance was better but not nearly as dramatic as with the 328i. The turbo lag on the diesel doesn't seem quite as bad as on the gasoline V6 X5 that I test drove. ...
Now that makes perfect sense; you get a car that was driven sluggishly for a while, reset the transmission algorithm, and the car now drives better. OK, how about cars that have not been driven sluggishly at all, or better yet, cars that have been driven aggressively for a while (that would be my car)? I would be very surprised if resetting the transmission in such cars would help make them peppier. Matter of fact, it should make the cars feel more sluggish, shouldn't it?:dunno:

· Registered
1,523 Posts
After the service my transmission did not work smoothly. Therefore, they reset it and everything worked fine.

I am not sure what people are referring to writing about throttle delay ***8211; maybe it is turbo lag, which there is and will be in turbo engines (even in double charged engines like 35d). My X5 has it, other diesels I drove had it too***8230;

· Registered
21 Posts
Marwan - I'm not sure if you would notice any change at all.. I'm not sure how many different driving patterns there are but it seems like there's definitely a fuel saver (eco) type setting and a normal setting..

Kanar200 - The throttle delay I experienced was like a turbo lag but the car wasn't turbo.. From a standstill, the car started in 2nd gear and was very sluggish (i'm guessing to save fuel) and it seemed like it was delaying shifting a few seconds to make sure you really needed a burst of power or something. Whereas if I had the car in DS mode and I touched the peddle, the car would launch like a rocket, even when downshifting.. I'm not completely sure how it all works but I can confirm it worked on both my cars and also a co-worker's 535..

· Registered
166 Posts
yeah that throttle delay is no fun!

· Registered
166 Posts
Marwan - I'm not sure if you would notice any change at all.. I'm not sure how many different driving patterns there are but it seems like there's definitely a fuel saver (eco) type setting and a normal setting..

Kanar200 - The throttle delay I experienced was like a turbo lag but the car wasn't turbo.. From a standstill, the car started in 2nd gear and was very sluggish (i'm guessing to save fuel) and it seemed like it was delaying shifting a few seconds to make sure you really needed a burst of power or something. Whereas if I had the car in DS mode and I touched the peddle, the car would launch like a rocket, even when downshifting.. I'm not completely sure how it all works but I can confirm it worked on both my cars and also a co-worker's 535..
damn thing constantly short shifts around 2500 rpm all the time ... probably a gas saving issue

anyone tried installing a "sprint booster" to their accelerator to cure the lag (not turbo)???

This little gadget essentially steepens the ramp for the signal from the pedal to the egas system ... makes the car think you are mashing the pedal more than you actually are?

I find for quick starts a quick click on the "-" flappy paddle so you select M1 for your getaway does the job quite nicely!

· Registered
166 Posts
When you step on the gas, there is a harsh jerk that is very noticeable. Other cars I drive, the car speeds off from a stop smoothly. Not the X5...

More about throttle delay here:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/suvs/1203_2011_bmw_x3_xdrive28i_update_8/

Supposedly, there is an update to it. Haven't found time to go to the dealer to get it fixed yet.
interesting, I noticed this when I test drove an xDrive50 and X5M back-to-back back earlier this year... I did not notice the jerk on the M ... but did on the 2011 50 equiped car...

I do not notice this on my 2012 50 with ZMP & ZMX

· Registered
18 Posts
I am not talking about a turbo lag - the throttle delay I am experiencing is from standstill. i.e. when stationary and you press the throttle, there is a split second delay before the car actually responds. Extremely annoying when driving in the city - just think about pulling into/across traffic when its busy. Our 8yr old Toyota has instant throttle response so when I change between the two the difference is stark. I would classify this as a fairly fundamental requirement when designing a car. I think this will end up being something we will just have to live with/adapt to. Funnily, I test drove both the D and the 35i before I purchased and the D had a similar delay, hence why i didn't buy it. Now I have a 35i with a delay, so this problem is not limited to the D only.

· Registered
21 Posts
I am not talking about a turbo lag - the throttle delay I am experiencing is from standstill. i.e. when stationary and you press the throttle, there is a split second delay before the car actually responds. Extremely annoying when driving in the city - just think about pulling into/across traffic when its busy. Our 8yr old Toyota has instant throttle response so when I change between the two the difference is stark. I would classify this as a fairly fundamental requirement when designing a car. I think this will end up being something we will just have to live with/adapt to. Funnily, I test drove both the D and the 35i before I purchased and the D had a similar delay, hence why i didn't buy it. Now I have a 35i with a delay, so this problem is not limited to the D only.
It's probably starting in 2nd gear like mine was.. put in manual shift mode and shift down to 1st gear and see if it solves the problem.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.