BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the battery in my Diamond key go dead. (It simply refused to recharge). I changed the battery but can't reset it to have the remote work. It appears all the DIY I find require the use of two Diamond keys.

Is there a way to reset the key without having another diamond key? I only have the diamond key and a regular key without remote.

Thanks,

·
Registered
637 Posts
thats bs, you dont need two keys to initialize the remote. only thing is if you had two keys and you initialized only one then the other key would no longer work as a remote because they both have to be initialized at the same time. get in the car and close the door, put the key in the ignition and turn it on(dont start the car) turn the ignition off and remove the key, hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times, release the unlock button, the doors should lock and unlock to confirm the procedure was successful.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I tried the procedure you outlined at least 5 times, each time without success. All the procedures I saw mentioned the need for a working remote to begin the process, hence I surmised that I needed two.

·
Registered
637 Posts
that is not true, im a bmw technician and i program these keys for customers all the time. usually they are buying another key because the remote part of their old key no longer works. you do not need a working remote to initialize a new key. if the initialization wont work then there is a problem with the key. i'd double check to make sure the battery is the right voltage and it is installed correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also common is if the fuel door lock actuator goes bad it will blow a fuse and the remotes wont work and initialation wont work either. The easiest way to check is lock the car with the key in the door lock cylinder and check to see if the fuel door locks. If the fuel door doesn't lock check the fuses located on the right side of the trunk. If the fuse is blown most likely its the fuel door lock actuator causing the issue.

·
Ivan
686 Posts
just for the sake of trying something else , try swapping the buttons indicated by nightkrawler, keep pressed the lock button and press unlock three times, then release lock button

i read the procedure once some place in the forum, and worked the other way around,

however, nigthkawler is a bmw technician, he is most probably right and could be another problem as bmwdoctor says

1 - 6 of 6 Posts