Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I had a P20ee code. The dealership replaced the N0x sensors and cleared the code and reset adaptations.

Around 20 miles after the reset, i went to do a California smog check. The car passed the sniff test but failed the OBD test with the same code.

The dealership said that the car needs to be driven for some time. But they didn't tell me how long or how much to drive.

Does anyone know approximately what the conditions need to be for the codes to reset?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
Idiots or liars. Dealer that is.

They need to clear the code and confirm it is not active.

Your car will then not have ***8216;readiness indicators***8217; set. (Note, two differnt things..... readiness indicator and p20ee code)
]
Yes it is true that it takes a while to set the readiness indicator. SOmetimes a ridiculous time.

But the dealer is ***8216;on the hook***8217; for giving you the car without any P20EE code...

Make sense?

The dealer telling you to drive to clear codes is wrong. Are you 100% sure the snog shop has active P20EE codes?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idiots or liars. Dealer that is.

They need to clear the code and confirm it is not active.

Your car will then not have ***8216;readiness indicators***8217; set. (Note, two differnt things..... readiness indicator and p20ee code)
]
Yes it is true that it takes a while to set the readiness indicator. SOmetimes a ridiculous time.

But the dealer is ***8216;on the hook***8217; for giving you the car without any P20EE code...

Make sense?

The dealer telling you to drive to clear codes is wrong. Are you 100% sure the snog shop has active P20EE codes?
Hey thanks for the reply.

What do you mean that it takes some time to set the readiness indicator?

Regarding your question, the smog shop's sheet only says OBD failed with code P20ee.

Anyways, I haven't returned to the smog shop yet. At this point, what should I do? I'm not sure what to actually say to the dealer.

I'm not sure how to say what you're saying about "
***8216;readiness indicators***8217; set "

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
So.... back in the day, when smog computers and check engine lights first came along, if you had a CEL or code, you couldnt pass smog.

People figured out "just reset the code in the parking lot and drive in".

So a few years later, they came up with 'readiness indicators'. Before you could smog a car, it had to have a certain number of cold starts, miles driven, engine RPMs and loads reached. The idea if it gets through that gauntlet, without setting a CEL, it is 'ready". Hence Readiness Indicator.

Now, your issue... They (the smog shop) are seeing an active code. It should be cleared. Tell the dealer that failed to clear the code, and need to do it (for free). Also keep in mind that after the dealer clears it, you will have to dirve for a week or so to set the readiness indicator.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So.... back in the day, when smog computers and check engine lights first came along, if you had a CEL or code, you couldnt pass smog.

People figured out "just reset the code in the parking lot and drive in".

So a few years later, they came up with 'readiness indicators'. Before you could smog a car, it had to have a certain number of cold starts, miles driven, engine RPMs and loads reached. The idea if it gets through that gauntlet, without setting a CEL, it is 'ready". Hence Readiness Indicator.

Now, your issue... They (the smog shop) are seeing an active code. It should be cleared. Tell the dealer that failed to clear the code, and need to do it (for free). Also keep in mind that after the dealer clears it, you will have to dirve for a week or so to set the readiness indicator.
Thanks for the clarification. That's exactly what the dealership told me. They fixed N0x sensors, and cleared the code. Less than 8 hours later, I went into the smog test and it failed. That was my only test to date.

My initial question was how long do I have to drive? What are the conditions to reach? Does anyone know how many restarts, how many miles driven, various load conditions etc?

I asked this because the retest is not free.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. That's exactly what the dealership told me. They fixed N0x sensors, and cleared the code. Less than 8 hours later, I went into the smog test and it failed. That was my only test to date.

My initial question was how long do I have to drive? What are the conditions to reach? Does anyone know how many restarts, how many miles driven, various load conditions etc?

I asked this because the retest is not free.
But the idea that 'you just drive to clear codes and get smogged' is wrong.

I also dont know if the smog shop was being accurate/correct/honest. Is P20EE an active code, causing a CEL (yellow engine symbol) to be lit? If it is an old code, and you dont have a CEL and dont have active codes, the smog shop may be wrong.

If your CEL is off, old codes or stored codes dont matter. Call another shop and ask, or go back and speak to the manager at the shop.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
Hey.

Anyone else have any input for OP????

Wanna make sure Im not leading him astray...

;)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But the idea that 'you just drive to clear codes and get smogged' is wrong.

I also dont know if the smog shop was being accurate/correct/honest. Is P20EE an active code, causing a CEL (yellow engine symbol) to be lit? If it is an old code, and you dont have a CEL and dont have active codes, the smog shop may be wrong.

If your CEL is off, old codes or stored codes dont matter. Call another shop and ask, or go back and speak to the manager at the shop.
Thanks for your insight. Part of me also suspected that the smog shop may not be accurate, and exactly to your point. Are they reading an old stored code, or are they reading an active code.

I have a lifetime relationship with the shop. All my cars go through there, they recognize me, etc. So I have to be careful with how I question their competency.

When the smog shop suggested that I need to drive the car more, they implied that they see this type of scenario all the time, that is someone gets an emissions equipment fix and then come to smog shop right away, and fail

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
Thanks for your insight. Part of me also suspected that the smog shop may not be accurate, and exactly to your point. Are they reading an old stored code, or are they reading an active code.

I have a lifetime relationship with the shop. All my cars go through there, they recognize me, etc. So I have to be careful with how I question their competency.

When the smog shop suggested that I need to drive the car more, they implied that they see this type of scenario all the time, that is someone gets an emissions equipment fix and then come to smog shop right away, and fail
Got it.

I wont tell people where I get my cars smogged. :angel: I cannot tell you how many times in the mod world you see people asking. And people say "i'll send a PM". I think to myself, if that shop knew they are giving out names.... people risking their livelihoods.

And again, MOST of the time it is a common scenario that a readiness indicator isnt set after repairs. Very common, I just dealt with this on my M5.

The disconnect here is that they are claiming it is an actual code.

It could be "yeah, its a readiness indicator and we can see the old code". Just be honest- 'trying to figure this out', and run through the above without questioning their competence. A PITA I know

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oof, still haven't reset all readiness indicators after 300 miles of driving. I finally found the actual M57 drive cycle procedures. This is required if you are in my position and need to run an emission test after the battery has been reset, or codes have recently been cleared after a repair.

As of today, I still need to do a DFP Regen and a EGR reset. Hope this helps.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=539482&d=1448280718

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,469 Posts
^^^^ Thank you very much. Never seen this before.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Last night, I went for an hour drive in the highway, attempting to run many of the drive cycle procedures.

I was still unable to get a DFP Regen. Even up to two months ago, on a 30 minute highway drive, I was able to consistently get coolant temp at the 87-90 degree range for an extended period of time. But last night, with accessories on (lights, seat heaters, a/c defroster), I had great difficulty maintaining temps at 85. Temps spiked only once for less than a minute up to 90°, but the average/median temp was 82. Ultimately my readiness indicator for DFP has still not reset. I'm almost 100% sure I need a regen (document says 2) for this readiness indicator to flip to green.

My EGR indicator also has not flipped yet.

Frustrating.

·
Nuclear engineer
16,469 Posts
Time for a new thermostat?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Time for a new thermostat?
I don't think so. Isn't one indicator of a regen when the coolant temp spikes for a short period of time? On my drive yesterday I observed a 2 minute spike of temps from 85 to 90-92. Temp ranges consistent with regen conditions

·
Nuclear engineer
16,469 Posts
I don't think so. Isn't one indicator of a regen when the coolant temp spikes for a short period of time? On my drive yesterday I observed a 2 minute spike of temps from 85 to 90-92. Temp ranges consistent with regen conditions
WTF would coolant temperature increase with regen? Some exhaust temperature, sure, but not coolant.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Argh, my emissions saga continues. After getting all readiness indicators active/green, X5 now threw a P0671 code. CEL goes on/off and my generic OBD scanner cannot pull the code.

Emissions shop says I will fail with this code. I'm aware this may be the single plug, the controller, and/or faulty wiring. Is there any way the code will clear itself so I can test and register my car? CEL is currently not in, and my OBD scanner pulls the code sporadically.

·
Registered
681 Posts
WTF would coolant temperature increase with regen? Some exhaust temperature, sure, but not coolant.
It does increase coolant temperature. Egt increase means increased cylinder temps.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
Argh, my emissions saga continues. After getting all readiness indicators active/green, X5 now threw a P0671 code. CEL goes on/off and my generic OBD scanner cannot pull the code.

Emissions shop says I will fail with this code. I'm aware this may be the single plug, the controller, and/or faulty wiring. Is there any way the code will clear itself so I can test and register my car? CEL is currently not in, and my OBD scanner pulls the code sporadically.
if the light isnt on, that means code isnt present. Should pass in CA.

Start it. get it warm. If light off, go to shop.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
681 Posts
if the light isnt on, that means code isnt present. Should pass in CA.

Start it. get it warm. If light off, go to shop.

My 2 cents
Not if readiness isn't ready because of a past code. I had a time where I was getting ready for inspection, had passed during a long trip. Then I got a code for a short moment that cleared itself (SCR) and the readiness was reset because of that. The m57 takes forever to get readiness. Use torque on android to check obd readiness. I believe in most states you have have 1 or 2 not ready's.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
Not if readiness isn't ready because of a past code. I had a time where I was getting ready for inspection, had passed during a long trip. Then I got a code for a short moment that cleared itself (SCR) and the readiness was reset because of that. The m57 takes forever to get readiness. Use torque on android to check obd readiness. I believe in most states you have have 1 or 2 not ready's.
Agree, but I thought he had gotten his readiness indicators reset.

Edit: Maybe my bad.... Seems in July 2019 they have new rule on PDTCs.... you must clear then and reset readiness.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Industry_Resources/Permanent_Diagnostic_Trouble_Codes.aspx

See #10 tho...and 11. What temps do the GPs come on at?

I had an issue w my S62 which took me 4 months to get smogged. FIx was to hack binary files in the DME to 'manually' disable secondary air. Total PITA since motor needed to be cold to test. Each test. Day after day after day....:mad:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts