Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Not if readiness isn't ready because of a past code. I had a time where I was getting ready for inspection, had passed during a long trip. Then I got a code for a short moment that cleared itself (SCR) and the readiness was reset because of that. The m57 takes forever to get readiness. Use torque on android to check obd readiness. I believe in most states you have have 1 or 2 not ready's.
Thanks for the analysis, readiness hasn't reset and still shows all green. I am not aware DTC can get reset automatically by codes going on and off?

The last reset was done by BMW to fix the P20ee N0x sensor code. Took about a month to trip all indicators, and just when all indicators turned green, P0671 popped up, and now off. The P0671 hasn't returned for a few days.

At least my exhaust shop is friendly and understanding and haven't charged me on the 5 revisits. Maybe I buy them a 24 pack of beer for my next round of tests?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,232 Posts
T Maybe I buy them a 24 pack of beer BEFORE my next round of tests?
Fixed. :angel:

I always thought that the readiness is a process that is independent of DTCs. Once the car is 'ready' the only thing that makes it unready is a reset. Dunno....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes, I'll give more details on my past headache.
Fixed an issue and went on a trip to get readiness monitors ready.
They became ready after a while of driving... Perfect, or so I thought.
Had one code for scr pop up and disappear. The readiness got reset! Argh
Stupid system needed to go through another full round of readiness to be ready for inspection.
The worst thing is that ny state doesn't give you a temporary extension, so I couldn't drive the car legally to get readiness!?!
This whole system is ridiculous, as gassers take much less time to get readiness.
I blame bmw for making an ocd system that shouldn't need hours of drive time to set ready.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, I'll give more details on my past headache.
Fixed an issue and went on a trip to get readiness monitors ready.
They became ready after a while of driving... Perfect, or so I thought.
Had one code for scr pop up and disappear. The readiness got reset! Argh
Stupid system needed to go through another full round of readiness to be ready for inspection.
The worst thing is that ny state doesn't give you a temporary extension, so I couldn't drive the car legally to get readiness!?!
This whole system is ridiculous, as gassers take much less time to get readiness.
I blame bmw for making an ocd system that shouldn't need hours of drive time to set ready.
You can blame EPA and CARB. All modern passenger diesels needs to pass this type of emissions. Btw, I was advised to pay for registration first. The car at least would be technically legal to operate on the road from a tax standpoint, just not emissions. If police pulls me over, they can easily check it in the system that I'm paid up, and I have all the date and time stamps of my visit to the shop to show that I've been actively trying to fix the thing.

Anyways, so my P0671 is still showing in my OBD scanner. The CEL doesn't show up. I'm basically at a decision point here.

1. I can dump $400 or so to get the glow plugs and controller fixed, clear the code and reset DTC, drive for a month to get readiness, and then likely pass.

Or

2. Pay a friendly mechanic to simply reset DTC, drive for a month for readiness and cross my fingers P0671 doesn't show up when I'm ready to test. 50% chance of success.

Or

3. Do nothing and pray P0671 disappears on it's own. My glow plug code has popped up before in the last 2 years, so I'm guessing there's some conditions that allow the code to disappear after a period of driving?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,530 Posts
Now there***8217;s a plan!

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can try swapping the bad glow plug with another one and see if you get a different code.
If you get the same code it's the module. Different code, it's the glow plug. I forget how much slack are on the gp wires, but you might be able to just swap 1 and 2 by swapping connectors. Unfortunately 1 and 2 are pretty much obscured by the injection pump so the intake has to come off to access the plugs.

Get a Bluetooth obd scanner and with an Android phone or tablet, you can easily reset and check for readiness yourself. There is also a free app called btool lite that lets you find bmw specific codes and reset them.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You can try swapping the bad glow plug with another one and see if you get a different code.
If you get the same code it's the module. Different code, it's the glow plug. I forget how much slack are on the gp wires, but you might be able to just swap 1 and 2 by swapping connectors. Unfortunately 1 and 2 are pretty much obscured by the injection pump so the intake has to come off to access the plugs.

Get a Bluetooth obd scanner and with an Android phone or tablet, you can easily reset and check for readiness yourself. There is also a free app called btool lite that lets you find bmw specific codes and reset them.
Thanks, I use Torque lite, and it won't let me reset DTC. I use it to check readiness.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts