BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The oil service light came on in my '87 318i about a week ago. I did an oil service on the car about 400 miles ago so knew this wasn't right. I did a search on this forum, and elsewhere on Google and found this excellent resource on resetting the service indicator light(s):
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html

Yesterday I tried to reset the oil service light by following the guide above. I noted that he 20 pin service indicator plug was present in my car (in the rear left under the hood). When I opened up the plug, I noted that only a few of the 20 holes actually had metal conductors inside.

The guide above states that pin 7 should be connected to pin 19 (Ground) via a jumper cable, before the ignition is turned to position 2 (run) for a short period of time (until oil service light goes out). When I inspected by service indicator plug, pin 7 had metal conductor inside the hole alright, but pin 19 was just a black hole with no metal lining.

Strange I thought, but I figured since pin 19 was Ground, I could just connect pin #7 to a part on the engine chassis for a ground. I did this and turned ignition to position 2 and saw sparks and smoke coming from the SI socket. Turned off ignition immediately, then inspected damage - the plastic coating on jumper wire was melted and some smoke was coming out of SI socket.

I'm not quite sure what damage I did there but the oil serice light is still on, and all else seems normal (doesn't seem to be any blow fuses, other indicator lights working). Can anyone suggest why my SI socket only has metal conductors in some of the pins (8 I think), and not in number 19 (which there should be according to the guide). Any other suggestions for resetting the oil service light?

Thanks in advance,
jAH

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest buying a reset tool on ebay. I just bought one for $34 shipped.
Hi danielw05

Can you point me in the right direction on eBay for one of these? Is a reset tool really necessary, as the guide I provided a link to seems to indicate that all the reset tool does is provides a jump across certain pins (eg. 7 to 19 for oil service reset). Thought a simple wire would be enough for this.

jAH

·
Registered
380 Posts
jAH,

go to www.ebay.com and type in E30 reset tool in the search....you will then see the same reset tool that I bought....if you scroll to the bottom, there are some located in the United Kingdom, so hopefully those would save you money on shipping.

I looked at that same article and almost made one, but then just decided to buy the tool b/c of time/effort constraints....anyway, I look at it this way...if I get rid of my car, then i can sell the tool again and make a little bit of money back. I would assume that everything you did was correct, so I don't know why it wouldn't work or why certain pinholes didn't look the way they were supposed to. I agree that it seems like it would just be a simple wire!!

Sorry that I can't be of more help!

Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response Dan, i'll take a look at that tool and consider whether it is worth purchasing

cheers
jAH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts