BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Experienced User
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over time the ECU in the trans learns your driving style and that is what it keeps in memory. The throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts and personalizes to your particular driving style. However, there is a way to set the ECU back to factory default. I have done this with my 07 328 and it works fine. I've done this with several Mercedes. The only difference with a push button to start/stop engine system is that you must use the start button instead of turning the key to it's first position and again to simulate the off position.
DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY DURING THIS PROCEDURE
Here it is; How to do a TBA: Throttle Body Adaptation reset.
Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the transmission.

Works with any car that has Driver Adaptive Electronic Controlled Transmission.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button ***8211; foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
Great write up. This has been discussed enough and people are always asking how to do this. :thumbup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
excellent tip. Thanks for sharing again for those of us who have not seen it before.

Lawrence

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Over time the ECU in the trans learns your driving style and that is what it keeps in memory. The throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts and personalizes to your particular driving style. However, there is a way to set the ECU back to factory default. I have done this with my 07 328 and it works fine. I've done this with several Mercedes. The only difference with a push button to start/stop engine system is that you must use the start button instead of turning the key to it's first position and again to simulate the off position.
DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY DURING THIS PROCEDURE
Here it is; How to do a TBA: Throttle Body Adaptation reset.
Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the transmission.

Works with any car that has Driver Adaptive Electronic Controlled Transmission.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button - foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference.
I assume this will work with Convenient Access?

CA

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Is there a reason why you would need to keep resetting it? :dunno:

·
Become the Bull
883 Posts
Obv. if you're buying used you would like a fresh start. Other than that, if you're going to track the car for the first time aftee driving it more like a daily driver in the past.

I usually drive pretty normally for the most part until i'm going to get gas and drive it hard (figure i'm getting more fuel anyway) my ECU must be all kinds of confused. :D

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
So after all that is said and done...what's the purpose of having a car knowing your driving style? You're going to drive it like you're going to drive it so why why the need to have it "know" your driving style?

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
Good thread. Never knew how to do this. Going to reset my car when I get to the parking lot.

·
Experienced User
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WAS THERE ANY REASON TO MAKE IT DRIVER ADAPTIVE IS THE REAL QUESTION.
I reset mine every 2 to 3000 miles and it runs like I've just gotten a tuneup!

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
WAS THERE ANY REASON TO MAKE IT DRIVER ADAPTIVE IS THE REAL QUESTION.
I reset mine every 2 to 3000 miles and it runs like I've just gotten a tuneup!
'Cause it was "cool" technology and everyone else was doing it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Many thanks for this info. I tried this today & the result is amazing. It's made my 330d E92 so much more drivable especially around town. The throttle responses have really been sharpened up and the gearbox seems to be holding on to gears a little longer before changing up giving the car a lot more urge away from the line. I'm definately going to be doing this on a regular basis.

·
Registered
315 Posts
So after all that is said and done...what's the purpose of having a car knowing your driving style?
Agreed - can't see the point of this either. Seems an overly complex solution - it's easy, just go like the devil when I put my foot down.

·
driving a D around RTP
536 Posts
What traits are modulated by the adaptive algorithm? Candidates seem to include:
1) throttle response vs. peddle position
2) the shift points
3) quickness of shift
any others?

(1) can be overcome by stepping harder on the peddle.

You get control over (2) by switching to manual mode. In D or DS, although peddle position tends to affect (3), you still don't get full control because the adaptive algorithm decides when to shift for a given throttle position and RPM and load.

Is there any way to gain control over (3) aside from resetting the adaptive algorithm thereby instantly modifying it to do fast performance shifts? At reset are shifts at their most aggressive or do you need to drive hard before it decides to do its fastest shifts? Does putting it into DS automatically force fast shifts even if you don't reset? What about M?

Thanks to the OP for this info. And now for me this info has generated more questions than it answered. (such is life)

·
Experienced User
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I would say that DS is pre-programmed and does not change according to your style. There is only one style in DS: Sport Mode so you control the ecu tendancy to hold gear via the accelerator pedal. In M mode it is what it is: you control the shifts with the gear lever unless you rev too high in which case the ecu steps in and upshifts for you so as not to allow engine damage or float out. And now to D. This is the position that the ecu is learning about your style and sometimes like a stubborn student it needs to be brought back to it's default so it can learn your style all over again. Regardless of it's adaptive algorithim and no matter what it learns about your style, your conditions are never the same on any two consecutive days unless you are grandma, and therefore a little realignment is good for the throttle and in my opinion erases the tendancy to hesitate; which is what a grandma most always does over time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
...therefore a little realignment is good for the throttle and in my opinion erases the tendancy to hesitate; which is what a grandma most always does over time.
Absolutely agree 100% - prior to realignment my 330D was slightly ponderous in the lower gears but since realigning today it's sharpened up considerably and drives with a lot more purpose.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts