BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW X3
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't really sure how to search this to see if what I'm looking for already exists. If it does, I'll delete this post.

Being new to BMW's and starting this journey with an older one (2006 x3 e83 m54 114K miles), I anticipate that I will be doing a lot of general maintenance that I'm not sure has been done, and will most likely be replacing many parts along the way. I've actually being doing quite a bit of both already.

I wanted to see if there was a somewhat comprehensive resource anywhere that lists other parts that should be replaced if replacing 'X'.

For instance, after replacing the VCG on mine to stop an oil leak, I've since read that that would've been a good time to rebuild the VANOS.

I think I've read that if replacing the intake manifold gasket, you should go ahead and replace the starter(?) and some other things while everything is apart and easily accessible.

For me, I've always learned stuff like this by word of mouth or watching every video I can find that covers the repair. I just thought if info like this was in a single place, it would save a great deal of time when prepping for specific job.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,464 Posts
That is a good idea. Many BMW TIS procedures list Necessary Preliminary Work and are also very specific about proper work area access. Those components should be looked at carefully if only for having already disturbed them.

Contrarywise, in the case of your starter example, don’t fix what ain’t broke lest you fix until broke. Starters are very robust and more so with each evolution.

BMW TIS are not free as they are BMW intellectual property and copyright.

A professional speciality was scoping overhaul work that considered issues just like your idea.

·
Anti-Hack
7,502 Posts
There’s no real “source” except common mechanical sense. If there is another failure prone, or cheap, item to replace “while in there”, do it. With intake off, starters and CkPSs are safe bets, BMW starters of this vintage are pretty low quality. Most fail by 150k miles, but on the M54 it, along with CkPS, can be replaced from below. If dropping the oil pan, for example, also replace diff input/output seals, the diff-sump o ring, engine mounts. If doing struts, do CAs, ball joints, sway bar links. If doing internal engine work… well ye best make use of a micrometer and dial indicator. On the M, sure “may as well” do VANOS rebuild, they aren’t nearly as robust as the N52.

I recently removed the fuel tank on my VW in order to replace the steering box. “While the bomb was out”… I cut off the very front of the car due to rust on a curved surface, and it was easier to repair by welding in a replacement piece. This of course had me cut out the trunk floor spare tire well, “because I’m in there” and weld in a new one. Then of course the priming and painting of the new body panels and inside of the trunk; a simple few hour steering box swap turning in to several days of body work.

That said, once going down the rabbit hole of “might as wells,” you may never emerge. With that same VW last Spring, a fuel pump replacement turned into an engine build with larger pistons, cylinders, and new heads with larger valves, so knowing when to say “stop” is a virtue. I have a hard time finding that “when.”

Via the interwebs

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
On this one…

”I think I've read that if replacing the intake manifold gasket, you should go ahead and replace the starter(?) a”

Dont replace it, source out a good auto electric shop and rebuild it. You will get a better product than the cheap a$$ of shore rebuilt Busch ones now made by monkeys

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am struggling with this issue right now, I have to replace to ofhg. Do i replace the 2 oil sensors while I have the ofh removed? the sensors do not throw a fault code but the original sensors are over 18+ years old. while i am in there might as well replace the vanos oil line, should i use the upgraded stainless steel vanos line or the rein version. do I buy copper washers or just use the aluminum ones? should i replace all the bolts. basic ofhg is less than $10, bought the viton one for more $. i am upgrading components and spending more $ and in turn replacing more parts and spending more time and money on the whole effort. this all started because i needed to replaced the ofhg

·
Registered
17 Posts
There’s no real “source” except common mechanical sense. If there is another failure prone, or cheap, item to replace “while in there”, do it. With intake off, starters and CkPSs are safe bets, BMW starters of this vintage are pretty low quality. Most fail by 150k miles, but on the M54 it, along with CkPS, can be replaced from below. If dropping the oil pan, for example, also replace diff input/output seals, the diff-sump o ring, engine mounts. If doing struts, do CAs, ball joints, sway bar links. If doing internal engine work… well ye best make use of a micrometer and dial indicator. On the M, sure “may as well” do VANOS rebuild, they aren’t nearly as robust as the N52.

I recently removed the fuel tank on my VW in order to replace the steering box. “While the bomb was out”… I cut off the very front of the car due to rust on a curved surface, and it was easier to repair by welding in a replacement piece. This of course had me cut out the trunk floor spare tire well, “because I’m in there” and weld in a new one. Then of course the priming and painting of the new body panels and inside of the trunk; a simple few hour steering box swap turning in to several days of body work.

That said, once going down the rabbit hole of “might as wells,” you may never emerge. With that same VW last Spring, a fuel pump replacement turned into an engine build with larger pistons, cylinders, and new heads with larger valves, so knowing when to say “stop” is a virtue. I have a hard time finding that “when.”

Via the interwebs
I Love it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts