Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my '03 530i was kind enough to replace the windshield sometime prior to selling the car, but he had non-rain/light sensor glass installed - cheap Chinese unit with horrible distortion. He also removed the wiring connector that plugs into the sensor, but left a bit of the wiring (4 wires, I believe). The auto-dimming mirror still functions well.

The plan is to have the proper windshield with sensor installed - glass from BMW or decent aftermarket brand (I have a glass shop owned by a long-time buddy that will do things right). Does new glass come with the entire black sensor "cube" and mirror mount? I see the rain/light sensors offered used on eBay, but the face glued to the glass always has broken glass on it. Several sellers have removed that one face and are selling an "opened" sensor. Is that what I need, and perhaps the windshield only comes with the one face of the sensor attached to the glass?

I'll still need to find the connector/plug with a fair amount of wiring to reattach it to the existing harness, but wondered exactly what I need to complete the job.

Thanks in advance!

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
what I need to complete the job
Typing /rain sensor F3 in the bestlinks, finds these, among others:
- How to replace the rain sensor (1) (2) & retrofitting a windshield with a rain sensor (1) (2) (3) (4)

·
BadBrad
234 Posts
Actually, it doesn't need to be BMW OE glass, it just needs to be any windshield with the sensor pre-installed from the factory. Then it becomes plug and play for installation of the mirror base.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies! I had seen the resources posted by bluebee during my fact-gathering, but had missed/forgotten one from champaign777. He shows the new windshield with the "face" of the sensor attached to the glass. I wondered if new glass came with the entire sensor "box" or just this one face provided. I've seen the sensors on eBay as a complete box or with the face that attaches to the glass removed. I've also seen the CRL Rain and Light Sensor Lenses on Amazon, but didn't want to purchase anything that I didn't need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts