BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the dealer gives limited info before paying their fee to look at my car. Aside from my a/c which is a separate problem, now Im having this safety restraint code up constantly in Check Control. I asked the dealer if my car has a recall on the seatpad sensor and of course told me no. I feel stressd b/c Im thinking of out of warranty repair costs for something like this. After doing some research on this forum some people mentioned it could be battery related? My question is can I get the battery tested to rule that out as being an issue?

This airbag light that comes on in Check Control is somehow related to the restraint system I know but the actual occupancy sensor I feel works... b/c the light by the sunroof switch goes out when Im driving with a passenger. Error in Check Control stays on. My options are to have the dealer tear into my seats and my wallet ..or I can get a new battery and just have the dealer reset and recalibrate everything. Batteries are cheaper than dealing with the safety restraint system in this car. Please anyone, help.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Before you spend anything, clear the error & see if it comes back. This could literally be from anything to a sensor glitch, pre tensioner etc....just clear the code & see if it returns. If it does, post the code & we can tell you what to do to fix it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before you spend anything, clear the error & see if it comes back. This could literally be from anything to a sensor glitch, pre tensioner etc....just clear the code & see if it returns. If it does, post the code & we can tell you what to do to fix it.
Do I have to take it to a dealer to do that? I dont have a code reader but I was going to get the one that I download on my iPhone. But I heard the srs has a special computer anyways that most independent shops dont have b/c "they cost too much" as the BMW rep said

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Attached is my battery and I dont know where the date stamp on this battery is. Ill tell ya one thing, I dont want those boys at Auto Zone touching any of this. Where is the sensor?

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can buy a $40 K+Dcan cable from bimmersoftware(dot)com & download software on a laptop for free to read & clear any code and any module. Find ShawnSheridan on this forum & ask him for Inpa & install instructions. The cable should arrive in 2-3 days.

As mentioned, don't go throwing money at a problem blind. Even if it is your battery, the fault will still have to be cleared. Once you get the software, read the codes & post them here. If you have trouble installing it & using INPA, let me know, I'll help you through teamviewer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can buy a $40 K+Dcan cable from bimmersoftware(dot)com & download software on a laptop for free to read & clear any code and any module. Find ShawnSheridan on this forum & ask him for Inpa & install instructions. The cable should arrive in 2-3 days.

As mentioned, don't go throwing money at a problem blind. Even if it is your battery, the fault will still have to be cleared. Once you get the software, read the codes & post them here. If you have trouble installing it & using INPA, let me know, I'll help you through teamviewer.
Update/no code reader still and now car not starting. The battery is still charging but engine won't turn over.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Attached is my battery and I dont know where the date stamp on this battery is. Ill tell ya one thing, I dont want those boys at Auto Zone touching any of this. Where is the sensor?
The IBS sensor is part of the negative battery connector. There is a Y type pigtail that plugs into that and, in turn, plugs into a CAN bus as well as the positive terminal of the battery.

I can tell by looking at the picture that you have an IBS and that the way the positive cable is wrapped around it might be putting stress on the negative terminal. The IBS is reportedly sensitive to strain and prone to failure from it. I also know that the power management software depends solely on a functioning IBS, though I doubt the restraint system is ever shut off.

Al

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Al,

Thank You so much for your response. Today, I called BMW & made arrangements to have the car towed in order to diagnose whats going on. If it is indeed this IBS sensor like you referred to here, is there anything I can do to get the car started? Perhaps straightening out the cords? I can try before the truck comes. This sensor seems OVERLY sensitive I read a few threads about recalls. I went online and verified with my VIN there are no open recalls for my car at this time. So I will post back here once they can read the codes and tell me which parts need to be replaced. It was cranking slow a few days ago so I expected something was gonna go sooo. Indeed something electrical since these cars are power hungry. Thinking the sensor batter or starter but we shall see.

Yesterday I called roadside to get a jump and the truck driver who isnt a BMW tech tried to convince me to have it jumped from the battery which i explained is in the trunk. He was looking at me like I didn't know what I was talking about, so I pointed at the positive lead under the hood. He tried to jump the car but he never attached the black lead. So idk. Idk whats going on it feels like the car wants to start, but something is interfering.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you were getting slow starts it may very well be the starter. For future reference you really need to get the kdcan cable & some software. It will save you HUNDREDS to THOUSANDS of dollars in diagnostic fees. If it is your starter & you plan on having the dealership do the repair, prep for a $1K+ bill.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you were getting slow starts it may very well be the starter. For future reference you really need to get the kdcan cable & some software. It will save you HUNDREDS to THOUSANDS of dollars in diagnostic fees. If it is your starter & you plan on having the dealership do the repair, prep for a $1K+ bill.
Well if it is the starter I can find an independent to do it. Or diy but the car doesnt drive so I have to find a tow

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dealer quoted me $1220 for a starter. Does anyone in the area no how to install a starter? Ill pay of course just for $500 for labor. Thats way too expensive :cry:

Attached: piece of paper from the dealer

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts