BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the dealer and my last in-warranty brake change. I have no confidence in their ability to properly torque the lug bolts, so I'd like to undo them and retorque them myself.

My question is, do I need to jack the car off the ground in order to do this, or can I just undo the bolts slightly and retorque them with the car still on the ground?

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
avalys said:
I just got back from the dealer and my last in-warranty brake change. I have no confidence in their ability to properly torque the lug bolts, so I'd like to undo them and retorque them myself.

My question is, do I need to jack the car off the ground in order to do this, or can I just undo the bolts slightly and retorque them with the car still on the ground?
I've always torqued the bolts with the wheels on the ground. How else do you keep the wheels from turning while you tighten the bolts?

·
They call 'em rigs here
859 Posts
I've done that. Just do one bolt at a time. After they are all done, drive around the block and click 'em again.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
If I suspect the bolts do not have the proper torque, I always jack up the car loosen all the bolts and in a star pattern tighten with a wrench until barely tight than lower the car and torque all the bolts.

Not sure if that is necessary but it only takes 3-5 minutes a wheel.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
You're right to be suspicous of a dealer's ability to properly torque lug bolts. I'm quite sure htat you'll find the bolts very hard to break free, since they probably blasted used some ridiculous amount of torque on them.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,275 Posts
Artslinger said:
If I suspect the bolts do not have the proper torque, I always jack up the car loosen all the bolts and in a star pattern tighten with a wrench until barely tight than lower the car and torque all the bolts.

Not sure if that is necessary but it only takes 3-5 minutes a wheel.
This is also my preferred method....well worth the few minutes it takes....NEVER trust any dealer, garage, or anyone else to do this correctly....I`ve seen too many wierd things (like a "factory-trained technician" breaking the mounting ear off a trans by using an impact wrench, because he was in a hurry....)

Regards,
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts