BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to retorque my wheel lugs just to make sure they're all torqued to spec. In order to do this, can I simply loosen all of lugs on each wheel and then retorque them in a diagonal star fashion?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
if you're afraid they are under torqued, I would just tighten them with a torque wrench.

if you think they are over torqued, then I would loosen it like you said. I'd jack up the car too to get the weight off first.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
2002m5 said:
I'd like to retorque my wheel lugs just to make sure they're all torqued to spec. In order to do this, can I simply loosen all of lugs on each wheel and then retorque them in a diagonal star fashion?

Thanks in advance.
Yeup! Just don't loosen them too much. And you should probably loosen them all at once, then tighten them down (as you stated) in the star pattern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it bad if I loosen up the lugs a little while the car is on the ground and then retorque them?

Also, will I need a 3/8" or a 1/2" socket/torque wrench to take off the lugs?

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
2002m5 said:
Is it bad if I loosen up the lugs a little while the car is on the ground and then retorque them?

Also, will I need a 3/8" or a 1/2" socket/torque wrench to take off the lugs?
u just need 17mm sockets, it doesn't matter if it's 3/8 or 1/2.

--Andrew

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I've always been taught to loosen nuts a bit before lifting the car to take the wheels off, and when they go back on, snug em a bit in the air but don't torque em till they're on the ground.

I've always done it this way and have never had to retorque a lug.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ditto scottn2retro :) And torque in the star pattern...

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
2002m5 said:
Thanks AYN.

yup, don't try to loosen the (overtorqued) lugs when your car is raised up, at least not the front wheels... you probably won't be able to... =) i usually loosen them before jacking up my car, and then remove them afterwards...

--Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts