BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
it was a 650 dollar option, anyone know the price to retrofit M performance brakes?
hows the M performance exhaust?
No idea how much, but it will DEFININTELY be more than the price it would have been to add it as an option (so it wont be 650.. it will probably be at least over 1k and probably a little more).

Its never cheaper to add BMW OEM parts after the fact.... at least not in any instance I have seen. Sometimes you can add something after market and have it be cheaper than the BMW OEM would have been, but thats kind of rare too.

Sort of like adding the adaptive suspension to an M sport model, its $900. Adding an adjustable suspension to a BMW is generally more than $900.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea how much, but it will DEFININTELY be more than the price it would have been to add it as an option (so it wont be 650.. it will probably be at least over 1k and probably a little more).

Its never cheaper to add BMW OEM parts after the fact.... at least not in any instance I have seen. Sometimes you can add something after market and have it be cheaper than the BMW OEM would have been, but thats kind of rare too.

Sort of like adding the adaptive suspension to an M sport model, its $900. Adding an adjustable suspension to a BMW is generally more than $900.
thanks and i agree. but does anyone know the actual cost?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
It's rotors, pads, and calipers. Rotors and pads alone with labor would probably be in the 1.5-2k range at a dealer. I have no idea how much the calipers are but have to think they're at least as much as the pads and rotors.

Why do you want to switch? You could probably just upgrade the pads for a fraction of the cost if you're just looking to improve performance for street driving.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's rotors, pads, and calipers. Rotors and pads alone with labor would probably be in the 1.5-2k range at a dealer. I have no idea how much the calipers are but have to think they're at least as much as the pads and rotors.

Why do you want to switch? You could probably just upgrade the pads for a fraction of the cost if you're just looking to improve performance for street driving.
the stock brakes are awful compared to what i had on my E92. whats a reasonable upgrade?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go to "SHOPBMWUSA.COM" pick your car and local dealer. It looks like less than $3k for the M Performance brake upgrade. You should see if they match Internet prices or will give a 10% or 15% discount.
thanks alot. thats way too much jeez.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
^^^ Actually sounded cheaper than I would've guessed :rofl::rofl:

FYI the m-sport rotors are cheaper than the m-performance rotors listed in that ad. Not sure by how much though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The stock breaks are fine IMO. The pads are part carbon. Personally, I've never had an issue with them, even with the car on high boost at the track.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
it was a 650 dollar option, anyone know the price to retrofit M performance brakes?
hows the M performance exhaust?
Go to "SHOPBMWUSA.COM" pick your car and local dealer. It looks like less than $3k for the M Performance brake upgrade. You should see if they match Internet prices or will give a 10% or 15% discount.

Is the OP asking about the M-Performance brakes or the M-Sport brakes? The M-sport brakes, w/ blue calipers, were the $650 factory option that the OP mentioned. The link above is to the M-Performance brakes which were another option from the accessories catalog and you had a choice of red, gold, or yellow calipers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is the OP asking about the M-Performance brakes or the M-Sport brakes? The M-sport brakes, w/ blue calipers, were the $650 factory option that the OP mentioned. The link above is to the M-Performance brakes which were another option from the accessories catalog and and you had a choice of red, gold, or yellow calipers.
That's interesting. Do they sell the M performance brakes? They must, right?

Also, although they are a $650 option, they were $650 MORE than the standard brakes and they obviously only install one set of brakes. So, I would add another $600.

Edit: but for the sheer amount of brake dust they produce, I'd pass. After I saw how quickly my buddy's M235 wheels get dirty, I vowed never to get that option. It's the reason I got adaptive M suspension without the full track pack. My wife's standard 328 brakes are a little soft but the standard brakes on my 340 are more than adequate for spirited road driving. I've never tracked the car so I can't speak about truly hard braking and fade.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Also, although they are a $650 option, they were $650 MORE than the standard brakes and they obviously only install one set of brakes. So, I would add another $600.

Edit: but for the sheer amount of brake dust they produce, I'd pass. After I saw how quickly my buddy's M235 wheels get dirty, I vowed never to get that option. It's the reason I got adaptive M suspension without the full track pack. My wife's standard 328 brakes are a little soft but the standard brakes on my 340 are more than adequate for spirited road driving. I've never tracked the car so I can't speak about truly hard braking and fade.
Those are the blue caliper M-Sport brakes you're referring to. Not to be confused with the silver brakes on the M-Sport package cars (different pads, # of pistons, and rotor size).

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

I believe this is why they have the track package cars with the 2 tone wheels. The grey is brake dust grey, and my wheels are fine (they dont look any worse than my non track package silver wheels looked on my 2013 335.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts