BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
After some complete and utter bar-steward kicked off my wing mirror on my 520d lci, I have decided to bite the bullet and just replace the housings with power folding ones as the price difference isnt massive (buying 2nd hand)

The housings come complete with the glass and are from RHD vehicles, I understand some soldering is involved in the drivers side switch control unit,

apart from this, is it a case of swap over the housings (with the plugs fitting into the 'High' ones) fit the door switch and i'm good to go?

I currently have the base spec/'Low' mirrors which are ONLY heated

many thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I disagree with Count00. Please enlighten us with the correct way then!? As with most engineering decisions there is compromise. Perhaps he thinks we should swap out the wiring loom? Or perhaps we should cut the wires, twist em together and wrap with some electricians tape?

If you want a totally reversible mod and don't want to alter your cars wiring loom in any way a small soldering mod on the drivers mirror switch unit is the way to go.

Have you read the guide?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862936

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can easily do the soldering thing as its proven to work, no need for unnecessary expense

In terms of the mirrors themselves, I've found some which are only dimming but not folding..at least this is what the seller tells me. Are there three types of mirrors?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I disagree with Count00. Please enlighten us with the correct way then!? As with most engineering decisions there is compromise. Perhaps he thinks we should swap out the wiring loom? Or perhaps we should cut the wires, twist em together and wrap with some electricians tape?

If you want a totally reversible mod and don't want to alter your cars wiring loom in any way a small soldering mod on the drivers mirror switch unit is the way to go.

Have you read the guide?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862936
Yes I've read your guide.
The correct way is to install it like it came from the factory. Buying a new loom and add the missing wires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@ Count00 - Please provide us with the part no. of the loom you propose to buy and price.

@ apples12 - To the best of my knowledge there is only the two types of mirror. No option for just dimming or just folding. The key at least for me on the LCI was to get pictures of the connector. 3 Pins = high (folding), 5 pins = lo (non folding).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts