BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question... and sorry if this has been covered before. I have a 2012 535xi. I called BMW Assist because I was unable to connect my car to the connected drive app. He said that I'm not able to because the technology in my car is 2G as opposed to 4G. He also said that I do not have BMW Assist and my SOS button will not work because my technology in the car needs to be "retrofitted" in order to match the new 4G technology. Has anyone here had to do that? If so, how crazy is the cost? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Question... and sorry if this has been covered before. I have a 2012 535xi. I called BMW Assist because I was unable to connect my car to the connected drive app. He said that I'm not able to because the technology in my car is 2G as opposed to 4G. He also said that I do not have BMW Assist and my SOS button will not work because my technology in the car needs to be "retrofitted" in order to match the new 4G technology. Has anyone here had to do that? If so, how crazy is the cost? Thanks in advance.

I received a letter from BMW last summer that said I had 3 options...

A $200 Visa pre-paid card

A $300 allowance in the BMW store

A free retrofit to the new technology.

I chose the upgrade.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I received a letter from BMW last summer that said I had 3 options...

A $200 Visa pre-paid card

A $300 allowance in the BMW store

A free retrofit to the new technology.

I chose the upgrade.
I've never received any letters from BMW in Canada for my 2011. Anyone know what options we have in Canada?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I've never received any letters from BMW in Canada for my 2011. Anyone know what options we have in Canada?
The sunsetting did not happen in canada, from what I remember. It was a US thing.

OP, not sure what the retrofit will cost now, but I am fairly certain that since it is a new combox that it is more than the gift card they were giving out to some in the past for not upgrading.

Dealers have a process for doing it, but I am not sure if it is even available for everyone (so you may not be able to do it at all). You will want to check with a dealer to find out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sunsetting did not happen in canada, from what I remember. It was a US thing.

OP, not sure what the retrofit will cost now, but I am fairly certain that since it is a new combox that it is more than the gift card they were giving out to some in the past for not upgrading.

Dealers have a process for doing it, but I am not sure if it is even available for everyone (so you may not be able to do it at all). You will want to check with a dealer to find out.
Thank you. Upsetting that I never received a letter from BMW. I did call the dealer and they actually had no idea what I was talking about. Then they transferred me to BMW Genius somewhere in Ohio (I'm in Florida) and they said that it can be done at a very minimal cost. Kind of at a loss here. I might just go to an entirely different dealer to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
.... they said that it can be done at a very minimal cost.
That's what I was told a few years back when I bought a 3 series without the armrest USB port "don't worry sir, we can fit one for you at minimal cost", but when I asked the service dept I was quoted between £750 - £1,000 plus coding. BMW's idea of minimal cost is clearly very different from that of the rest of us!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was told a few years back when I bought a 3 series without the armrest USB port "don't worry sir, we can fit one for you at minimal cost", but when I asked the service dept I was quoted between £750 - £1,000 plus coding. BMW's idea of minimal cost is clearly very different from that of the rest of us!
I agree. When he said "minimal" I was thinking that it was very tongue 'n cheek. Well, we'll see. I might just keep my roadside assistance handy through my insurance company and just plug in my iPhone and forget everything else. At least Bluetooth works. Just a shame that after spending quite a bit on the car, the technology has now turned into a moving paperweight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought mine used right after the 3G ceased functioning. I went the upgrade route and it cost about $600 for the new Combox. I was fortunate in that BMW credited me some funds to do it. Not sure that would work now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought mine used right after the 3G ceased functioning. I went the upgrade route and it cost about $600 for the new Combox. I was fortunate in that BMW credited me some funds to do it. Not sure that would work now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good to know. Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts