Bimmerfest BMW banner

What will be the next biggest breakthrough?

• AIDS/HIV Cure

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Cancer Cure

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Time Travel

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Cold Fusion

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Light Speed Travel

• Teleportation (Mass Not Light)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hover Vehicles Including Highway System

• Oceanic Colonies

• Outer Space Colonies

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • World Peace

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The next big breakthrough will probably be the widespread adoption of hydrogen as a replacment for gasoline since the world oil supply will dwindle away after the next 100 years or so.

Australia has become the first country to successfully test hypersonic scramjet technology, which also uses hydrogen to propel highflying aircraft to speeds up to mach 8.

Maglev will probably replace trains.

But the biggest, and most far reaching in impact may be the long term medical advances, breakthroughs and technolgies from the Humam Genome Project. Advances at the genetic level will one day eliminate cancer, disease, even abort the gaing process itself.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
geomax said:
The next big breakthrough will probably be the widespread adoption of hydrogen as a replacment for gasoline since the world oil supply will dwindle away after the next 100 years or so.

Australia has become the first country to successfully test hypersonic scramjet technology, which also uses hydrogen to propel highflying aircraft to speeds up to mach 8.

Maglev will probably replace trains.

But the biggest, and most far reaching in impact may be the long term medical advances, breakthroughs and technolgies from the Humam Genome Project. Advances at the genetic level will one day eliminate cancer, disease, even abort the gaing process itself.
I mean no disrespect, but that is obvious. I tried to pick 10 things that were totally impossible as of this morning to my knowledge. Everyone knows there is a new fuel coming, and hydrogen replacement is a long available resource and technology. So your absolutely right I think, but I mean a real breakthrough. Something that today, is impossible.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
dredmo said:
I mean no disrespect, but that is obvious. I tried to pick 10 things that were totally impossible as of this morning to my knowledge. Everyone knows there is a new fuel coming, and hydrogen replacement is a long available resource and technology. So your absolutely right I think, but I mean a real breakthrough. Something that today, is impossible.
Gotcha. Hhmm...I want to pick the hover vehicle/system, but I've heard rumblings that this is not so far distant.

I would have to say Light Speed travel then, because colonies in space will come in the next 200 years, easy. Engines that will enable light speed travel have been argued as plausible on paper - but I think the technology to build it is a long way off. It's also been argued that it's impossible to travel beyond the speed of light - that doing so gets into a whole other dimension of physics. But then again, thats what was said about the sound barrier.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
dredmo said:
Cure for cancer is A LOT closer than you think. While working at City of Hope's marketing department I can across a few interesting research projects. They have already effectively created a "vaccine" to fight Leukemia. Basically they're genetically altering the T Cells (in case you don't know what that is, they're the basic building block of human immune systems. T cells develope into white blood cells, antibodies...etc) in patients suffering from Leukemia and curing Leukemia patients without a bone marrow transplant. They've also developed several drugs to target specific cancer cells for destruction by white cells, using your own body's immune system to fight cancer without the use of harmful radiation therapy and chemotherapy.

The usual testing phase will probably take about 10 years so they can study the long term effect of the treatment, but a cure for cancer really is a lot closer than you think.

Out of your list though, a few are just scientific impossibilities.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The HACK said:

Out of your list though, a few are just scientific impossibilities.
I tend to think curing cancer, is close, so is aids, or fusion... There are alot of things once thought impossible though. We just dont have enougvh Einsteins in the world to make some things happen fast... Do I think time travel will EVER happen?? no I do not... And I hope it never does. but alot of the other things I feel are a matter of time

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
dredmo said:
Do I think time travel will EVER happen?? no I do not... And I hope it never does. but alot of the other things I feel are a matter of time
It might be, and once again, Einstein pioneered research is this area. Scientists were eager to find out how particles from the sun were able to penetrate the earths upper atmosphere. Conventional understandings indicated that particles travel in a straight line, and thus must "skip" off the upper atmosphere at the edge of space. Yet, and ground level, they appear - how? Einstein was able to prove that these particles travel at near light speed, and as the threshold to the speed of light is approached, space itself "bends", and thus the particles were penetrate because the rule of physics change the faster you travel. So, if you travel faster than the speed of light - who knows what really happens. I suppose there will need to be some future Chuck Yeager.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
The HACK said:
The usual testing phase will probably take about 10 years so they can study the long term effect of the treatment, but a cure for cancer really is a lot closer than you think.
There's not going to be a cure for cancer anytime soon; probably never. There's so many different types and they all behave differently and react in different way to different treatment approaches. They all share some similarities, but the differences between different types can be huge.

Today, many types of cancer are curable under certain conditions. As time goes by, more and more types of cancer will become cureable using treatments with varrying levels of destructive and/or painful side effects.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

There's not going to be a cure for cancer anytime soon; probably never. There's so many different types and they all behave differently and react in different way to different treatment approaches. They all share some similarities, but the differences between different types can be huge.

Today, many types of cancer are curable under certain conditions. As time goes by, more and more types of cancer will become cureable using treatments with varrying levels of destructive and/or painful side effects.
I think thats whats scarey about the Genome Project. Research indicates that certain individuals are prone to cancer or disease because of certain enzyme sequences in the DNA chain. Enzymes are like puzzle piece's, or keys, it the entire DNA structure. Find the correct sequence of "keys" and you "turn off" the potential for disease. It's sort of like encryption - you just need to be able to "crack" the code.

It's scarey because you could find the Fountain of Youth right in your own gene's - it's theorized that aging is "built in" to your DNA. Ie, that people are meant to age. Turn this feature off, and who knows how long you may live. Some studies have shown that cellular regeneration can actually continue unchanged for years, yet something in the DNA causes the process to begin to breakdown over the years.

Imagine what would happen to the world population!! Imagine a world without disease of any kind! Yikes! Better hope we invent space travel/colonization in a hurry...

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well there are two theories that I have, one proving light travel possible, and the second trying to explain how (the second of which I have even heard repeated by a latin genious, maybe someone will know his name I forget. He is a latin mega brain. The first thing I say, is say you have a broom handle and a laser beam. Pretend both are say 10,000 miles long. If you take the laser beam in your hand, and create a fulcrum in the center of the laser beams handle, then rotate it on its fulcrum, the end of the laser beam will have to travel a MUCH greater distance than the base of the laser, only in the same time. Yet, with a laser, the light will bend. For obvious reasons... (Light has a maximum speed) Now take a solid mass object, like the broom handel, that is not malleable, and will not bend, or flex, do the same thing, and the object will not bend... However, it will LOOK like it bent. Thus making something travel faster than the speed of light.

That is my personal thoery.

The light travel theory I believe is this. Make a sound chamber, behind the aft of a craft with sound wave engines. so basically, you have an airplane, emitting sound waves instead of jet propulsion. These sound waves hit a sound barrier, which propel the craft... now since space is a vacuum for practical purposes, the end acceleration is infinate. I dont explain it near as well as the genious does, but basically we would be a craft inside a sound bubble propelling our selves off the aft of the bubble and continually moving.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Well, if you were looking to pick impossible things many of your list already exist today in primative forms.

1) The ISS approximates a lunar colony.
2) We have hover vehicles (maglev)
3) There are underwater habitats though not too comfortable
4) The teleportation of a single photon was accomplished last year in Sweden(?)
5) Limited Cold fusion has been accomplished though it has been debated.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
dredmo said:
Well there are two theories that I have, one proving light travel possible, and the second trying to explain how (the second of which I have even heard repeated by a latin genious, maybe someone will know his name I forget. He is a latin mega brain. The first thing I say, is say you have a broom handle and a laser beam. Pretend both are say 10,000 miles long. If you take the laser beam in your hand, and create a fulcrum in the center of the laser beams handle, then rotate it on its fulcrum, the end of the laser beam will have to travel a MUCH greater distance than the base of the laser, only in the same time. Yet, with a laser, the light will bend. For obvious reasons... (Light has a maximum speed) Now take a solid mass object, like the broom handel, that is not malleable, and will not bend, or flex, do the same thing, and the object will not bend... However, it will LOOK like it bent. Thus making something travel faster than the speed of light.

That is my personal thoery.
So just forget about the theroy of relativity right...

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
in_d_haus said:
Well, if you were looking to pick impossible things many of your list already exist today in primative forms.

1) The ISS approximates a lunar colony.
2) We have hover vehicles (maglev)
3) There are underwater habitats though not too comfortable
4) The teleportation of a single photon was accomplished last year in Sweden(?)
5) Limited Cold fusion has been accomplished though it has been debated.
1 I meant mass exploration, colonization, and settlements
2. I mean a complete brand new system much like our current system, only in air
3. I didnt know that... are they actual, town type deals?
4. I meant mass, not light. I know they can teleport light
5. I did not know this either... wow That was my choice for the nearest breakthrough

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
geomax said:
It's scarey because you could find the Fountain of Youth right in your own gene's - it's theorized that aging is "built in" to your DNA. Ie, that people are meant to age. Turn this feature off, and who knows how long you may live. Some studies have shown that cellular regeneration can actually continue unchanged for years, yet something in the DNA causes the process to begin to breakdown over the years.

Imagine what would happen to the world population!! Imagine a world without disease of any kind! Yikes! Better hope we invent space travel/colonization in a hurry...
The only thing is, with DNA and genes, you turn one off, you have a bigger problem in your hands.

Take, for example, the gene that actually controlls cellular regeneration. You turn that gene off, theoretically you will have continued cellular regeneration. However, the SIDE EFFECT of that cellular regeneration is also CANCER. Studies of that particular gene has shown that genes that control the suseptibilities to cancer is also tied in very closely with the genes that stops cellular regeneration.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
in_d_haus said:

So just forget about the theroy of relativity right...
no definately not, I am not a scientist either, but my thoery, at least in my limited knowledge is fundamently sound. There is no limit as to how fast you could spin the object on the fulcrum, and the end of the object will travel at a much faster rate, how would light limit it? To me it sounds like only your perception, would see the stick as bent, even though it has already arrived at its location.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
dredmo said:

The light travel theory I believe is this. Make a sound chamber, behind the aft of a craft with sound wave engines. so basically, you have an airplane, emitting sound waves instead of jet propulsion. These sound waves hit a sound barrier, which propel the craft... now since space is a vacuum for practical purposes, the end acceleration is infinate. I dont explain it near as well as the genious does, but basically we would be a craft inside a sound bubble propelling our selves off the aft of the bubble and continually moving.
So would you go faster if you played AC/DC instead of Mozart? That rif in "Thunderstruck" rocks.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
dredmo said:

no definately not, I am not a scientist either, but my thoery, at least in my limited knowledge is fundamently sound. There is no limit as to how fast you could spin the object on the fulcrum, and the end of the object will travel at a much faster rate, how would light limit it? To me it sounds like only your perception, would see the stick as bent, even though it has already arrived at its location.
At the speed of light your broomstick (mass) would turn into infinate mass. It's not light per say it is the speed.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
in_d_haus said:

So would you go faster if you played AC/DC instead of Mozart? That rif in "Thunderstruck" rocks.
Yes as a matter of fact you would... And you would actually go in revers if you played rap... say Big Pimpin.

·
O.G.
8,376 Posts
TD said:
All I can say is...

Theodore Kaczynski for President!!
In 15 years, when they finally track down the Unibomber #2, he will be arrested in a shed with an aging 1998 M3/4 parked outside. At this point, he will have killed Bangle and most of BMWs management team... :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts