BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit my rev limiter today merging into trafic. YIKES!:eek: This was the first time I've really been WOT since break-in. The engine is very smooth all the way up to redline (limiter). I was more concerned with traffic than looking at the tach and I guess it got away from me. In my old acura I could "just tell" when I was getting close to redline because the engine would get very -strained-. I guess I'm impressed by how smooth the engine is all the way up to redline, but now I know I need to be careful.:eek:

G

·
I hit my rev limiter often. That's what it's there for. Just be careful downshifting. The missed-shift overrev can be expensive.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
It won't hurt anything. I can always tell what RPM that I am at, and rarely go past 6K. Though, I have hit the 6750 limiter a few times. Pretty smooth still....

Driving a 330 around a roadcourse, I hit the limiter at least once a lap in 3rd. Sometimes twice. Better to hit the limiter right before the braking zone that shift to 4 and have no power going up the hill after the turn....

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Hit 7,000 RPM once or twice on the track...I let it rev to about 6,500 a couple of times a week. :)

·
Coyote Racing Team
628 Posts
Its threads like this

that will make me bounce off the limiter a couple times on the way home tonight ;)

·
10,856 Posts
I hit it fairly frequently in first gear. Not too often in second.

More specifically, I used to hit it frequently, before I had myself trained for the lower gearing and lower rev limiter in this car. (Previous manual car was a chipped E36 325i, I could hit 70 in second. :yikes: )

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Who hasn't :dunno:

4th is possible for sure :angel:

I've only managed a bit over 6K in 5th though :(
Just out of curiousity, about how fast was that? I would like to hit my speed limiter, but I haven't had either: a) a long enough straight away at the driving schools I have been to; or b) the skill to make proper use of those long straight aways.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
rwg said:

Just out of curiousity, about how fast was that? I would like to hit my speed limiter, but I haven't had either: a) a long enough straight away at the driving schools I have been to; or b) the skill to make proper use of those long straight aways.
~152

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
nate328Ci said:
I would like to hit the rev-limiter in 5th

I don't think my car can do it though :(
I hit it in 5th today. ~142mph on I485 here in town. Did some scouting for 5.0 before I let loose. I had a good mile or so of vision before I saw any traffic coming in either direction. I did pass an Explorer at about 130mph though...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Chris330Ci said:

I hit it in 5th today. ~142mph on I485 here in town. Did some scouting for 5.0 before I let loose. I had a good mile or so of vision before I saw any traffic coming in either direction. I did pass an Explorer at about 130mph though...
That's the speed governor you hit, not the rev limiter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.