Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2006 750Li ***anGrau
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m installing an Android replacement screen with Apple car play and reverse camera install as well. I have purchased the ca,era that replaces the license plate light and will be wir No from trunk on up. Two questions:

1) which side should I run my reverse camera wires through, passsenger or drivers side door jams?

2) should I tap the reverse light 12V power and feed from there, or should I use the power feed on the video connection and wire to continuous 12v at the head unit.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks, have You already connected installed it? Does it replaces original control display completely?
Has it optical connections?
Once I started conversation with chinese manufacturer, and it was not quite convincing that it really is compatible with e65. They just showed me pictures and videos of e60, and could not send me connecting or installation instructions, and I experienced weird explantions.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
311 Posts
I’m installing an Android replacement screen with Apple car play and reverse camera install as well. I have purchased the ca,era that replaces the license plate light and will be wir No from trunk on up. Two questions:

1) which side should I run my reverse camera wires through, passsenger or drivers side door jams?

2) should I tap the reverse light 12V power and feed from there, or should I use the power feed on the video connection and wire to continuous 12v at the head unit.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
I probably would wire on drivers side.
Its easier to remove in drivers footwell only the cover, andat the rear there is a hole on the drivers side, andI guess that original wiring goes into the trunk lid through the hinge arm on the drivers side,which I actually don't know. I havent disasembler the the trunk lid.

·
2006 750Li ***anGrau
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have wired and connected the radio. It’s fully functional and integrated with idrive. This model is specific to the e65/66, but it must be post facelift. I’ve taken down the top cover on the drivers side footwell, but can’t locate a hole to the radio opening.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oh,I would be interested in connection scheme,if You have one. Does really audio is working? How about other functions of the car?
The holesand space are rather small. Anyway to connect something to ASK unit the unit should be removed or at least released to detach to reach the back. Then You will see lighting throigh the holes and openinf where wires should be lead.
You should carefuly remove front wooden trim. It would be enough to remove justvthe trim of the audio unit, and there are 3 screws if remember correctly, on sides and a torx in the middle area.
I suppose You never removed the trim, then it is very high possibility to crack the trim, it' therefore better to fo***316;ow insteuctions from TIS,and remove all woodem trim starting with the upper drawer, which is the most complicated part at first time,before You understand it. Afterwards its rather easy, just one slight bent with screwdriver then other trims are just popping off. Unscrewin all the screws will release all the centre console with trays, it will provide more space and sight for openings.

·
2006 750Li ***anGrau
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure understand what step I’m at in the process. I have already removed the ask. Remove the vents and wooden piece below the MMI. Removed the MMI, and used the back half of the MMI to connect to the new android touch screen headunit. You remove the screen of the current MMI and then you attach the android touchscreen that is identical, just has different internals to the back of the MMI. I’ve dont that and wired it back with OEM harness plugged into android harness, plugged into ask unit. Everything is functional. Sound, Bluetooth, all android menus and access to all oem idrive menus and functions. All is still pulled out and I’m performing the rear camera install last before buttoning everything back up. I have the whole front dash compartment wide open and have explored drivers footwell. Taken the cover down and there is no hole that leads up to the MMI opening that I can find. May just go through glove compartment and wire through passenger door jambs. I think I can still go through the trunk hole on drivers side, just cross cable across under backseat.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ahhh... guess the best thing will be to remove the drawers. And run through carpet?
I dont think that lifting a carpet is easy, unless You have also removed the centre armrest console completely as well. Then it wouldb be straight to the backseat in centre and then to the back wall.
When I retrofitted the logic subs with seat removed, it was quite hard to lift any part of the carpet, and even harder it was to lift the front side when have replaced SASR module. The catpet there has formed thick foam structure and very hard to bend.
I have to look at the pictures I've taken when removed the dash, but I remember wirong a night vision electronics wire frombthe module behind the glove compartment to the other side at drivers light switch, and it was relatively easy to lead the wire just below the steering column to the light module and up.
In Your situation You'd better lead the wire below the column to the very sidewall and down to door strip, then back at drivers side.
I'll look what I have in the pictures, but I don't remember that there was a wall or something which does not allow to lead the wire between or by sides of the air wents down to ask and find further path to a hole to steering column. There was a specific rubber to cut a hole to lead the wire up instead to centre dash Logic speaker from ask unit, otherwise I don't remember other walls or obstacles where I should drill or cut a hole...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not sure understand what step I’m at in the process. I have already removed the ask. Remove the vents and wooden piece below the MMI. Removed the MMI, and used the back half of the MMI to connect to the new android touch screen headunit. You remove the screen of the current MMI and then you attach the android touchscreen that is identical, just has different internals to the back of the MMI. I’ve dont that and wired it back with OEM harness plugged into android harness, plugged into ask unit. Everything is functional. Sound, Bluetooth, all android menus and access to all oem idrive menus and functions. All is still pulled out and I’m performing the rear camera install last before buttoning everything back up. I have the whole front dash compartment wide open and have explored drivers footwell. Taken the cover down and there is no hole that leads up to the MMI opening that I can find. May just go through glove compartment and wire through passenger door jambs. I think I can still go through the trunk hole on drivers side, just cross cable across under backseat.
... if its just the screen compatible and functioning with OEM MMI then it looks very promising

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is the place right behind MMI where I had biggest problems to lead the wire from ASK unit up to the dash.
From MMI to ASK should quite freely, then to the side behind the glove compartment or to my mind better left (on LHD) right below the steering column to the side panel and down...
Sorry if that does not help. I don't think I have the pictures of leading wire from centre to sideof drivers footwell. I have some pictures of the centre armrest column removed with the wiring underneath, but it woukd be way too complicated to remove it just for the wire to the back... IMAG2645.jpeg IMAG2644.jpeg

·
2006 750Li ***anGrau
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The head unit is awesome. You don't lose any original Idrive functions or menus, plus you get the new android 8.1 version, wifi, google navigation, and apple carplay, plus whatever android apps you want. It was pricey, but worth it. (If I can wire the reverse camera, lol).

Thanks for the pic and help. I'm at the point of your pictures, just need a path from the compartment picture to below the steering wheel and to the door jamb

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been considering one of these Android head units too, the pre-facelift E65 does not have an Aux in but I seem to have found a video on Youtube that shows how to create one that can be used in the install.

I was wondering, so you need to use the touchscreen much when in Android mode? The screen is a bit of a reach, so I was hoping the i-drive knob was still used most of the time, with steering wheel buttons for up/down tracks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes,more detailed description would be good. I agree that idrive knob is much more convenient than to reach the touchscreen.
In between, what if I have an AUX already occupied? Shall I lose the AUX input then? O have co***326;ected the bluetooth receiver there...
Is the audio transferred through AUX, which means that each time using Android I have to switch audio input to AUX option, or there are some good tweaks?

Anyway I am still considering only because there is an android with its possibilities. I would even be happy without audio at all...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes you are right - the Android units use the Aux input, so you need to switch to it when using the Android system for Audio.

I had a similar Android system (all be it custom made) in my last Jag, and it used the CD player (by breaking into the Audio tracks on the PCB). I used to use Amazon music and it was great in the car. I have also fitted something similar to the Mercedes S class I had, but it did not integrate to the existing system very well, and some OEM features were lost (like the clock!).

It was great news to see there is something 'off the shelf' for the BMW, and it looks really good.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
2006 750Li ***anGrau
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I ended up wrapping my install without installing the reverse cam. I ran the wire to the head unit and eventually will figure out the trunk panel removal to wire, but until then here is the unit:

https://youtu.be/-SmwjmvEgDY

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 20 of 35 Posts