BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i tool my zf 5hp 19 in my 323i apart and i replace the broken reverse drum or D drum. and i put the tranny together again,. i noticed the out put shaft doesnt trun when i turn the drive shaft gambo, nothing turns from the out put shaft all theway to the reverse drum. also everything turns when i take the pump bolts out. if anyone know the reason, or how to fix it please help guyz

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Tad out of my range. Its not hard to do.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Im getting way to old to r&r them for others sorry :)

Here is an excellent howto on doing it yourself though.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=920549

If you run into problems Id be glad to help you with it. The key thing is if you can remove and install the transmission itself from the car. The rest is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After y'all have gotten this fixed, have your cars run well? Or is this the beginning of the end? I can't do the work myself and am trying to decide between just selling and getting it fixed. Is a $3,000 on a car worth $5000 worth it? If it'll run for a good while longer, I otherwise love the car, but my emergency fund can only handle so many emergencies.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
When mine finally goes one day which eventually it has to I will rebuild the trans and keep going. Cost of ownership is actually quite low on a bmw compared to say a toyota corolla. My mother in laws car wouldnt crank last week and I ended up having to replace the fuel pump and swap some relays out to get it going. While checking prices I found all the fuel injection parts to be double or tripple the cost for the same part on my bmw.

So I think its worth fixing the car in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
After y'all have gotten this fixed, have your cars run well? Or is this the beginning of the end? I can't do the work myself and am trying to decide between just selling and getting it fixed. Is a $3,000 on a car worth $5000 worth it? If it'll run for a good while longer, I otherwise love the car, but my emergency fund can only handle so many emergencies.
Also if no one will do the work for you or you dont want to do it yourself paying the $395 or so then a fully rebuilt trans isnt but $1500 or less with a warranty. So its not $3000 if you completely replace the trans in the car.

If you dont abuse the trans it should last an easy 200,000 miles which is likely far longer than most people seem to keep a car these days so again Id think it would be well worth the investment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts