Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if this function is availble for a 3 sedan 2002 ? Is would be very handy!

Greetz

·
Enthusiast
235 Posts
I have a 2002 coupe, but I would think they're the same. :dunno: When you're in reverse, make sure your side mirror control is set on driver side. That way the passenger side mirror tilts down. If your control is set on passenger, it will override this feature.

edit: I just noticed you're from belgium. Maybe US models are different? Is it an option over there?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
epham said:
I have a 2002 coupe, but I would think they're the same. :dunno: (unless US models are different than ones in belgium) When you're in reverse, make sure your side mirror control is set on driver side. That way the passenger side mirror tilts down. If your control is set on passenger, it will override this feature.
Mmm...that good to know!
But i don't think my car got that feateru..my passanger site mirror is always selected. Do u know if this function can be retrofitted?

greetz

·
Enthusiast
235 Posts
In order to get the tilt down feature to work, you control has to be set to <i>driver</i> side. If it is set on passenger side, it will <i>not</i> tilt down.

Not sure if it can be retrofitted. Maybe someone else can answer your question?

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
u must have power seats for this function to work. i found out the hard way...my dealer was convinced all 3series passenger mirrors should tilt down when in reverse. they figured my car had a faulty unit. after much futzing around they realized it only works if u have power seats, something the mystery machine lacks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ChrisTO said:
u must have power seats for this function to work. i found out the hard way...my dealer was convinced all 3series passenger mirrors should tilt down when in reverse. they figured my car had a faulty unit. after much futzing around they realized it only works if u have power seats, something the mystery machine lacks.
Daimed... what do the power seats have todo with tilting mirrors?
Is this a sales-argument? I hope the's a BMW-mechanic on the forum that knows about this..

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
It has to do with the power seat memory system. The power seats memorize seat positions, lumbar and mirror positions.

The auto-tilt function of the mirror tilts the down, and then in forward gears it restores back to the mirror position of the seat memory.

-Al

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alee said:
It has to do with the power seat memory system. The power seats memorize seat positions, lumbar and mirror positions.

The auto-tilt function of the mirror tilts the down, and then in forward gears it restores back to the mirror position of the seat memory.

-Al
Mmmm...seems quite logical if u put it that way...
So then we move on to the next problem..
Possible to retrofit Powered driver seat?

I hope i get my car done one of these weeks..been working on it the last 3 weeks...but it looks nice now:)

Greetz

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
i guess where would u get the power from? and where is the memory module for the seats located?

what have u been to ur car for 3 weeks?

Raptox said:

Mmmm...seems quite logical if u put it that way...
So then we move on to the next problem..
Possible to retrofit Powered driver seat?

I hope i get my car done one of these weeks..been working on it the last 3 weeks...but it looks nice now:)

Greetz

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ChrisTO said:
i guess where would u get the power from? and where is the memory module for the seats located?

what have u been to ur car for 3 weeks?

It's a 320d... sunroof, bi-xenon, topaz, h&r suspension, M3 rims,
hk, custom MP3 server & multimedia install..

The things i've been buzy with lately was
- the H&R install Pic1
- installation extra wires
- painted the black strip in the front bumper titanium...looks quite good! The Pic (the center is black to show the diference)
- Cell Phone & Handheld install: Pic1 Pic2

Ofcourse i don't work all day on the car...depends on how much real-work i got...I'm gonna make a section on my webpage about the car..with all howto's & links;..

greetz

·
Banned
9,903 Posts
ChrisTO said:
According to Bentley, its in the seat. So It may be possible to retrofit simply by replacing the seat, and recoding the system via DIS/MODIC. Based on my experience with the alarm system (installed a euro version alarm in my US convertible -- connectors for motion sensors were present, even though not offered in the US), I would expect all the wiring harnesses/connectors to be there.

Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dwallersv said:

According to Bentley, its in the seat. So It may be possible to retrofit simply by replacing the seat, and recoding the system via DIS/MODIC. Based on my experience with the alarm system (installed a euro version alarm in my US convertible -- connectors for motion sensors were present, even though not offered in the US), I would expect all the wiring harnesses/connectors to be there.

Dave
Thanks Dave!
That was the info i needed!

Btw...just ordered my M3 sedan mirror, trunc lip spoiler & titanium headlight trim :)

Greetz

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
epham said:
In order to get the tilt down feature to work, you control has to be set to <i>driver</i> side. If it is set on passenger side, it will <i>not</i> tilt down.

Not sure if it can be retrofitted. Maybe someone else can answer your question?
Except sometimes they get a wire crossed - my mirror tilts when the control has the passenger side selected. It's the only car that I have noticed where the set up is backwards. Here's hoping this is the most significant flaw in the car.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
i'm a bit puzzled. u have a 4 door 320d but the interior picture only shows 2 buttons for the window. what happened to the rear window buttons?

·
BMW-Porsche-Mustang-Nut
793 Posts
Another trick feature for Tilt-down mirrors

Here's a trick you can do to make the tilt-down mirror function even more useful. This is for people who live in areas with one-way streets ---- and might therefore parellel park on either the driver's or the passenger's side.

The default set-up already takes care of tilt-down on the passenger's side.

For added security on the driver's side do the following:

1) Adjust your driver's side mirror so that you get an ideal view for backing up as you would to a curb on the driver's side.

2) Save the mirror settings to the seat/mirror/etc. memory button location of your choice ---- like the 3rd and unlikely used button.

3) Next time you need to parellel park on the driver's side of the car, press the seat memory button #3 and the mirror will tilt down to your present ideal position. Press #1 when you're done and it will return to the normal position.

:thumbup:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
@ChrisTo

power rear windows are only standard on 330i/330d Limo here in Europe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ChrisTO said:
i'm a bit puzzled. u have a 4 door 320d but the interior picture only shows 2 buttons for the window. what happened to the rear window buttons?

I haven't got the electric windows in the back :-(
Some option i missed while ordering.

greetz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts