BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Review on BimmerTech CarPlay MMI Prime

12828 30
If you are looking to add Apple CarPlay to your bmw this CarPlay MMI Prime from BimmerTech is the way to go. I have a 2016 BMW 535i X Drive and CarPlay was not put in this car until 2017 so I researched how to add it to my car. The BimmerTech CarPlay MMI Prime kept coming up so I thought I'd give it a try. I am so glad I did! It was a really easy installation with minimal tools and about 20 minutes of work but I am comfortable with taking out the stereo and screen before so it may take a little longer for you. The installation of the CarPlay MMI Prime is more or less a plug and play. You just need to take off the plastic covering, then take out 6 screws and the rest is plugging in certain wires to add the CarPlay to the original stereo. The CarPlay also adds a usb to add plug in CarPlay but it can also use CarPlay through Bluetooth which is a plus because I hate having to plug in my phone every time I get in my car. Once you get everything plugged in and hide the extra wires, you screw the 6 screws back in and put the plastic covering back on and you are all done. My wife has CarPlay in her 2017 X3 and I feel like I enjoy my CarPlay MMI Prime better than the factory BMW CarPlay as it's more customizable and you can use the whole screen for CarPlay. I am very happy with my purchase and I would not hesitate to purchase this again if put in the same situation. The price of $649 is not bad at all because instead of paying for the updated maps every year from BMW, I can use google maps, Apple Maps, or Waze through my iPhone for free.
The link to this product is: CarPlay MMI Prime Retrofit for BMW | BimmerTech
Reactions: Ric_M
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
I am thinking of getting the MMI Prime for my '16 535ix also. Does the input in the console continue to work after it is installed? Do the stock cameras work normally after install? How is navigating the interface with only the iDrive controller? Klunky or ok?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts