BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is the 1994 525i and has over 190,000 miles. I recently have been having a problem where the check engine light turns on and then the car revs up on its own. It will last as long as two minutes and then go back to normal. Has anyone come across this problem or know how to fix this???

morse525

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
You need to do the stomp test. Look at my sticky thread at the top called Mechanical things you need to know about your E34. It has a link that explains it.

Do the stomp test and let us know what code you get.

Steve

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts
My car is the 1994 525i and has over 190,000 miles. I recently have been having a problem where the check engine light turns on and then the car revs up on its own. It will last as long as two minutes and then go back to normal. Has anyone come across this problem or know how to fix this???

morse525
check that the fuel pressure regulator vac hose is attached is a small 1/4 inch vac hose. Also check the connection to the idle control valve. I know that if you get a maf code, it can be the idel control connection loose. The stomp test will tell what the ck eng lt is catching. Hit the petal to the floor 5 times good in 5 secs then read the flash code.

Attachments

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts
Its the "check engine" light bottem left side of dash board .,after the 5th pedal stomp lt will go out then you have to count the times it flashes to complete a 4 digit code dont worry it took me a month to get it right yours should have it. Im not sure when the self dingoistic test system was introduced on the 5 series .It seems that if your car is made later in the year the features and upgrades for the next year were installed. So a later 91 would really be a early 92 in upgrades and parts.

Attachments

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LuckyDog and Bmr_lvr I was just wondering from the example video how you got the code of 1221. I've done the stomp test and it's does exactly what it does on the video. I just don't know how to get the code from the CEL flashes.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far!

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
LuckyDog and Bmr_lvr I was just wondering from the example video how you got the code of 1221. I've done the stomp test and it's does exactly what it does on the video. I just don't know how to get the code from the CEL flashes.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far!
It's hard to explain. You just have to watch it and count the flashes. There will be one flash followed by a pause (1), two rapid flahes followed by a pause (2), two more flashes followed by a pause (2) and on flash followed by a pause (1).

Once you catch on, you will bang the side of your head that you didn't figure it out sooner. Don't feel bad. It is a rite of passage to take a few times to figure it out.

Hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much guys! I got a code and I got 1262, it's the idle speed actuator. Now my problem is where is it located?

Thanks again!
Morse525

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts
Code- 1262 is "Idel speed control" manages low speed non load idel by diverting exess intake air just after it passes the throttle. Its below the middle of the intake manifold not easy to get to with out removing the intake manifold. Do a thread search " Idle speed control. " I would spray 1/2 can of MAF cleaner wile running into the throttle at intake manifold and add 1/2 can Sea Foam to gas and half to motor. Its important that the main idel control air hose is attached correctly to the manifold or you car will sound like a popcorn maker. Theres a 92 black smaller one on the left pic. You can see the larger silver one on the old 93 motor.:)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts