BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

RFT and Mobility kit- no go?

1535 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Schmit55
New to me cpo 2010 e90 xdrive with rft here.

Why no mobility Kit with runflat tires? Seems like if you had a flat and were burning up the sidewalls you might want to pump them back up if it was a slow leak.

Does the OEM kit fit nicely in the little hole? I notice that it seems to have a screw-on cover that isnt in my car.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I was thinking along those lines with my RF tires. :eeps: I just order non-RF tires, but I have a tire-kit under the floor in the back, my fits well in the small cut out! :rofl:

Why no mobility Kit with runflat tires? Seems like if you had a flat and were burning up the sidewalls you might want to pump them back up if it was a slow leak.

Does the OEM kit fit nicely in the little hole? I notice that it seems to have a screw-on cover that isnt in my car.
You can do 60 miles an hour for 60 miles on RFT without damaging the tires.....
I have gone about 50 miles on a leak/flat, had the tire patched, which, yes you can patch a RFT, and had it reinstalled with no problems
While a RFT may be damaged beyond repair if run while completely deflated, most punctures result in a slow leak so re-inflating as necessary en route to a repair facility will often save the tire. I carry the Slime air compressor for this purpose with both RFTs and go-flats.

Tom

Right on target! :rofl::thumbup:
While a RFT may be damaged beyond repair if run while completely deflated, most punctures result in a slow leak so re-inflating as necessary en route to a repair facility will often save the tire. I carry the Slime air compressor for this purpose with both RFTs and go-flats.

Tom
Not sure where the "60 miles @ 60 mph" came from. The BMW RFs (according to our owner's manual) are limited to 50 miles @ 50 mph with an "average load." My owner's manual states: DO NOT EXCEED 50 mph (emphasis mine).
My '07 3 series and '08 1 series manuals state that at zero psi, one can drive 155 miles at a maximum speed of 50 mph with a light load, 95 miles with a moderate load or 30 miles with maximum load. But driving these distances means that the tire will be totally shot and will have to be replaced - which is why BMW dealers will not repair a RFT.

If the pressure can be kept above 20 psi or so, the tire may be safely repaired - thus the argument for a 12v compressor in the trunk.

Tom
Not sure where the "60 miles @ 60 mph" came from. The BMW RFs (according to our owner's manual) are limited to 50 miles @ 50 mph with an "average load." My owner's manual states: DO NOT EXCEED 50 mph (emphasis mine).
I had one of my RFT's go flat yesterday on the Highway. I was doing 80mph and my warning light came on. I got another warning a few seconds later and this time it was the red Low pressure light so I slowed to 45mph and pulled off to the back streets, I was only 10 miles from my house so i drove home. By the time I got home I could feel the tire riding funny. I checked the tire and the inside wall was totally shot. 2/3 of the wall had split from the bead. The tire is totally destroyed. Fortunately have have warranty and getting a new tire.

So be warned, just because you have RFT's doesn't mean you can drive too far with no air. In future I will have an air compressor so I can at least keep some air in the tire. Still don't know what caused the tire to go down. Once they fit the new tire I will check to see what cause the puncture but there was no obvious external signs of a puncture.
I dont see a reason not to buy the compressor. What is with the brass screw holes?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.