Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bluebirds fan in USA
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the car up and just before I take off, the right blinker comes on. :confused: Moved it back and forth....left signal works normal but once it's in the center, the right one is flashing. Headlights & high beams work normal. Did a search and came up with some possible causes...either the switch or the LCM. Not having a spare switch at the moment, I unplugged it, turned the key on and the right blinker was on again. My guess is the LCM is bad :dunno: I've gained access to it. It's dry so I doubt water got into it. 16 years and 179kmi so it wouldn't surprise me if it died. Just glad it happened in my driveway, otherwise I'd have to get Florida plates and drive in the left lane :rofl::rofl::rofl: I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes but no luck. So should I get a used LCM and have the dealer match it to my car? Don't really care to pay $160 diagnostic fee then they say it'll be $500 to fix.

·
Learning Every Day
640 Posts
I'd try a new (but used) signal stalk before going the LCM route as it would likely be less expensive. It does, however, sound like it's LCM related, but the switches can be had for about $5 from an auto recycler...

·
Bluebirds fan in USA
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could get a used one but I***8217;m pretty sure that***8217;s not it. Even with the switch unplugged, the right blinker keeps flashing.
If there***8217;s a place that can rebuild the LCM, I***8217;d do it. Even though it might be 7-10 days, it would save the hassle of getting another potential junk unit and paying the dealer to flash it. I***8217;ve got my X3 so it isn***8217;t like this has to be fixed immediately.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Search for lcm repair, they are out there.
Do you have a code reader, that might tell you something. See what codes you have for the lcm.
You have the newer lcm and that is not easy to work on, the old lcm had transistors that could be replaced.

·
Bluebirds fan in USA
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update; to make a long story short, it's my right rear tail light & not the LCM. Tail light was filled with water and apparently caused a short. That will be cheaper to replace than an LCM :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts