BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Biggest noob here :(

I dont know what the problem is exactly, I jacked up the car, tried to shake the right wheel and the only part that seemed to move was that part of the arm from the right wheel shown in the first image:

This is what the arm looks like:

And this is the same part of the arm but from the left wheel. It looks pretty bad but doesn't shake as the right one does:

The right wheel shakes/vibrates after 25mph when switching lanes or turning left only.
Question is how can I fix this myself.

I highly appreciate any replies. Thanks
:)

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,469 Posts
Your front control arm bushings are likely shot. Very common. You can replace them yourself if you're good with tools, but if you will have to get the new ones hydraulically pressed into the "lollipops" before installation. Or you could buy a spare set of used lollipops, have the new bushings pressed in, remove your old bushings and then sell the old lollipops.

Also, when is the last time your control arms were replaced? Mileage?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did some research and watched some youtube vids on the control arm bushing and the 'lollipop' replacement
I now have some understanding to start my DIY project, specially because the mechanic that took a look at the car wouldn't try to explain what the problem was and wanted to charge me 350 to fix the issue.

Questions:
What is the actual term for the 'lollipop'?
Does buying the Control Arm Bushing include the 2 ball joints?
You think I should replace the whole control arm? or just the 'lollipop' and ball joints?

Thank you very much for your help Sir, it is greatly appreciated. Im 21 years old and have never touched a car before.
I bought my 1998 BMW 328i about a month ago, it has 112,900+ Miles, its a great car it just needs little fixing.
I learned out how to replace my rotors & break pads myself. This site is amazing but people like yourself make it even more awesome.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By worn I meant the two "lollipop"s, perhaps I should only replace both "lollipop"s and ball joints.
I still need some advice...

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,568 Posts
To replace the ball joints you have to replace the control arms. The inner ball joints aren't replaceable by the normal DIYer. You stand a big chance of bending the arm trying to press it out/in. LCAs are cheap and pretty easy to replace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep thats how bad they look. Im just gonna replace both control arms I want to keep this baby running good.
Thanks for the great advice :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts