BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I unfortunately drove over black ice and lost the rear in the middle of a corner and the wheel hit the kerb. It was a downhill off camber corner and according to the garage I took it, the driver side spindle is broken and they want $1000 to fix it. I will see the car tomorrow to really see the broken part but has anyone have to replace the rear spindle/knuckle on an 03 540?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever replaced that before and do you know the part#? I am trying to see if I can do it myself. Thanks

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I don't know anything about the problem whatsoever ... so ... what I would do first is check if anyone has listed something useful to you in the VERY best of E39 Links.

When I looked just now using my browser "find" feature (control f), I saw a few rear "suspension" links that others thought were pretty good.

You might want to check 'em out (use the browser "next" (F3) feature to move about).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, i will do that. I'm about to go and take a look at the damage. Update will follow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just saw the car and its in the parking lot and they were not able to lift it up for me to take pictures. The part number they told me i needed was this - 33 32 1 091 335/ knuckle axle carrier. They are quoting me $685 for that part and $264 for the work.

·
Registered
2003 530i
2,263 Posts
I just saw the car and its in the parking lot and they were not able to lift it up for me to take pictures. The part number they told me i needed was this - 33 32 1 091 335/ knuckle axle carrier. They are quoting me $685 for that part and $264 for the work.
I got curious & looked up this part # on realoem. 33 32 1 091 335 is listed as applicable up to 12/2001. 33326757315 seems applicable after 12/2001 for your car. Where did shop get the # they gave you?
Part # didn't show up on EAC Tuning, but a BMW dealer internet site lists MRSP as $622 with a sell price of $485 (plus shipping) so $685 is certainly fully priced unless they have included other parts, e.g. nuts, bolts, alignment eccentrics, etc.

KSD lists time for wheel carrier change as 23 FRU (flat rate units) @ 5 minutes ~ 2 hours. It would be fair to allow some extra time to deal with rusty bolts & difficulty disassembling parts from damaged carrier. See attached image.
I don't see swap of ball joint listed as a task in FRU & realoem isn't clear if new wheel carrier includes a ball joint. You might wish to clarify. Also, suggest you ask if labour quote includes alignment after repair or is that extra.

Last, if impact was severe enough to fracture wheel carrier, have they confirmed that nothing else was bent / broken? It seems highly possible & there are lots of expensive parts involved in the rear axle. The wheel at least must have a ding or be bent :(
I'd want to know in advance rather than get a nasty surprise when picking up the car.

EDIT: Thread title is "right rear ...." & you've said driver's side & assumed you were RHD locations. But part # is for left side & I just noticed that your location is US. Make sure shop orders correct (not wanting to say right) part!!

Regards
RDL

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts