BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it legal in germany/italy? also, can one legally have a glass of wine or two and still drive or do they have 0% law there?

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Well, I *heard* you cannot turn right on red in Germany but don't know for sure.

What's really interesting is that the cup holders in my 545i specifically have a wine-glass with a circle and bar across it sticker.... I still smile when I see that wondering why they specifically decided to inform us of that! :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am pretty sure it's not legal in Germany unless there's a green arrow light. Don't do it!

Also, alcohol limits are pretty low and the cops will measure your breath for alcohol. Doesn't matter how well you can walk a straight line even after 2-3 drinks.

But if you're going to drink & drive, remember to take the car.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
In Germany right on red is NOT legal unless there is a placard with a green arrow pointing to the right (usually posted just on the light pole just below the light itself).

DWI/DUI limits are 0.05 - one to two typical alcoholic beverages for the average male. However, this is the limit at which they are allowed to haul you off to jail just by being caught. If you are involved in an accident with ANY blood in your alcohol system :angel: the insurance companies can deny claims or reduce claim compensation (same goes for not using your seat belt). I don't know how that works with the BMW ED insurance but probably not worth finding out.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
I have always seen the you-may-turn-right-on-red, green arrow placard next to the red lamp as pictured here. We have only four of them in Bremerhaven (population 107 000). I wouldn't mind if we had more.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bleiben eine Stunde

If you wait an hour after visiting the Hofbrauhaus before hopping in your vehicle, you will give your liver's alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes a good start toward bringing your level to the safety zone...

...of course, some folks raise their level to extremes before stopping consumption, thereby prolonging the blood level.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Blood alcohol levels continue to RISE for quite a while after you stop drinking....best to leave the car parked for the night BEFORE you drink. German beer has a lot of alcohol in it and it seems to be enjoyed in rather large portions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts