BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2009 BMW 328I and want to put new rims and tires on it. Any suggestions for the rim size. I was thinking 18" or 19". Also don't know about having them staggered. What are the common tire sizes for 18" and 19" rims. Also, I want to avoid the wheels being too big and rubbing anything in the wheel well. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the 17's and thinking about doing the same thing. Something I noticed the car's ride is very sensitive to the rubber. I went from RFT to standard same size (winter snows) and could not believe the ride improvement, over expansion joints, pot holes etc. I'm now not sure I want a lower profile, but heard 18 inch is ok. Just wouldn't put RFT's on it. I"ve read can handle up to 245's same diameter, but you'd need to double check. One poster here is struggling due to rubbing, and seems the offset is key when you get close to max size. Be sure your spec wheel and tire, including offset are well researched. my 2 cents....

·
Banned
10,015 Posts

18" is a practical max for the E9x as larger = harsh

I'd go with BMW OEM, conforming to factory spec re: speed limiter. Nearly all aftermarket wheels are NOT speed rated - there is risk.

No? May as well buy DUB.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The lower profile the rubber, the harsher the ride and the more susceptible to pothole damage to your wheels, since they are less cushioned from pothole edges by less air+rubber in the tire!
Also, the larger the diameter of the wheel, the HEAVIER the entire wheel+tire assembly is, which increases the 'unsprung weight' --which is going in the wrong direction from the desireable characteristics of the car!!! More metal, less rubber and air; which do you think weighs more?!
  • Less unsprung weight will have less inertia, so the suspension reacts faster to bumps meaning the tires stay in contact with the road better. Better adhesion to the road when cornering on bumpy/rough mountain roads.
  • Lastly, having to accelerate more weight in the wheels is worse for the ability of the car to accelerate as rapidly!

I frankly do not understand the compulsion for 19" wheels, unless folks are simply too ignorant to know what is wrong with 19" over 18", or are simply interested in impressing others with appearance, rather than impressing themselves with a better handling/driving car!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm on 245/45/19 with no rubbing at all

The lower profile the rubber, the harsher the ride and the more susceptible to pothole damage to your wheels, since they are less cushioned from pothole edges by less air+rubber in the tire!
Also, the larger the diameter of the wheel, the HEAVIER the entire wheel+tire assembly is, which increases the 'unsprung weight' --which is going in the wrong direction from the desireable characteristics of the car!!! More metal, less rubber and air; which do you think weighs more?!
  • Less unsprung weight will have less inertia, so the suspension reacts faster to bumps meaning the tires stay in contact with the road better. Better adhesion to the road when cornering on bumpy/rough mountain roads.
  • Lastly, having to accelerate more weight in the wheels is worse for the ability of the car to accelerate as rapidly!

I frankly do not understand the compulsion for 19" wheels, unless folks are simply too ignorant to know what is wrong with 19" over 18", or are simply interested in impressing others with appearance, rather than impressing themselves with a better handling/driving car!
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

Well, BMW installs 19 inch wheels on many E90 series cars from the factory. They may know a thing or two about handling dynamics.

·
bmw addict
1,345 Posts
All my cars are on 19's. Just spend the $$ for quality wheels and you'll be fine.

And for those of you that think 19's are heavy get some volks:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts