BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. The previous owner to this car had these rims. Right now I have the OEM wheels on but was wondering if there is anything I could do to have these wheels look good again. He had run them through the winter months and this is what happened. WHOOPS! Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
List them on Freecycle....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
freecycle? nah

freecycle? I'm not trying to get rid of them. I'm trying to salvage them. Can I have them re-dipped in chrome? I'd even be happy if I could have a flat (non chome) look to them.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
They`d cost FAR more to refinish than they`re worth....(and they`d STILL be Fugly....)

·
Registered
132 Posts
There are plenty of places the specialized on fixing rims, including the finish. Just look for one in you are and the get the free quote. Then you will see if they are worth fixing or not.

·
Registered
670 Posts
They`d cost FAR more to refinish than they`re worth....(and they`d STILL be Fugly....)
Doesn't appear to be a question of cost versus worth -- OP likes them and wants to restore them.

OP: Might want to run this question through the detailing forum, or over on autopia.org.

Too, check with local body shops -- they'll likely perform services on wheels or point you in the right direction.

From the looks of the pictures, it'll take a pro.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chrome is out of the picture. I would prefer to sand them down, prime them and paint the damaged part of the wheel black. I just wasn't sure if there was a primer and paint to do this with. Any ideas on that?

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
What you have are not chrome plated wheels. You have polished aluminum wheels with either peeling clear coat, or oxidized hard anodization. Neither are "easy" to fix.

DIY is going to be extremely labor intensive. If you are determined to keep them, find a shop like Redi-Strip that will dip them to remove the old coating. Or have them soda blasted. Do NOT use sand, you'll have a bigger mess on your hands. In the end, you'll end up spending far more than a new set would cost. Regardless, your decorative plastic bolts will be toast, unless you remove them first. You're going to spend hours per wheel getting these to look decent. You might try a stripper thats safe for aluminum; anything with methylene chloride will eat the clear, but may also attack the aluminum. Same deal for naval jelly. I doubt either will touch hard anodization.

Personally, I think that's far too much wheel for an E46, but that's just my opinion. Sell them to some unsuspecting kid over at Fanatics and claim they are easily "fixed".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why is sanding, priming and painting out of the question? Why would it be such a mess? I view this more as a project than a necessity to have them in use in a few weeks right now they are sitting in my basement. There must be some sort of sanding, sealing, priming and painting method to this. I don't have any plans to rip a kid off. That's not how I roll.

·
Boogety Boogety
362 Posts
Look, somebody needs to say this to you. As a friend. Some of us have tried, but it's not sinking in. :rolleyes:

The wheels are shot. There is a cost-benefit issue here: Why would you spend more to fix something than it's worth? When you can get a NEW set for what it costs to fix the old ones? :rofl:

They have no collectible value. They have no sentimental value. They have no value to Homeland Security. They contain no precious, recyclable metals. They're not rare. They're just damaged beyond reasonable repair. Pitch them (give them away, sell them on CraigsList for a few bucks, use them for boat anchors, whatever) and get new ones and save yourself all the trouible and hassle and expense of bringing these rotten wheels back to life. :eek:

Now, do what's sensible, or keep arguing to yourself that this is a worthwhile use of your valuable lifespan. Respectfully submitted for your approval... :eeps:

·
Registered
407 Posts
If that is/was clearcoated aluminum you might be able to polish and re-clear it for not too much time and effort. I did this on an old beat up set of wheels I bought for $150. Had I known what I was doing when I started the project it would have been easy.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.