BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you use griots waxes right? they are paste based correct? what's your method for applying wax using the PC, i'm thinking of picking one up this weekend... also do you know where i might get pads in a brick and mortar? thanks

·
5,820 Posts
The Griot's waxes and polishes used with the PC are liquid. The liquid is applied to the pad and then the car. Very little is used. Go to the Griot's site and you'll see the setup they recommend for PC use.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Paste carnauba's:

Griots Carnauba: Highly recommend first to bring it up to room temperature (overnight) first. Then get a fork and "mash" it up, seems Griots carnauba is alittle "settled" (or at least the jar I had was) and needs alittle mixing, then I just used a spoon to 'spread' it on the waxing pad(after mashing, the Griots Carnauba it more like margarine, where the P21S carnauba is like a hard, cold butter).

P21S Carnauba: Well mixed, no mashing necessary. I use the wrench handle that comes with the Porter Cable to "scrape" layers of wax off the top, then spread it like butter on the waxing pad.

Not sure on Brick and Mortar pads, except the hand applicators...the PC comes with a good "cutting" pad for the polishing phase, as John mentioned above, I use Griots wax pads.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Analysis of the texture of Griots Carnauba vs P21S carnauba:

Oils and beewax have always been a part of any Carnauba's. Naturally, the higher the carnauba percentage in a high end wax is better for protection. Both Griots and P21S have a high carnauba content (or so they claim)

I believe the Griots has alittle more oil bases in their mixture, due to some settling in the product, and the necessary "mashing" of the product prior to use. As I mentioned above, it turns to the texture of soft margarine after mashing it up. There was definately a layer of oil like substance in the jar below the initial layer of hardened wax topping. This would make sense due to the fact that Griots Carnauba lasts alittle longer (or appears to) because of the oil substitutes may be more than P21S Carnauba.

P21S carnauba had the same texture thru out the wax to the bottom of the jar, after all, they advertise "Hand Poured in Germany", I'm assuming it has less oils than Griots, thus does not last as long.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
johnlew said:
Rip,
You use the Griot's Carnauba? I thought you use BOS. If both, how do they compare?
I have both and have used both, even in conjunction.

I prefer the Carnauba, seems as though it doesn't have the potential to "haze" as much as the BOS (less oil?) The first time I wax my car, I used one coat of Carnauba, then topped it off with BOS (per Griots techy instructions) and had a marvelous result.

Removal of the Carnauba is vastly superior to the BOS wax IMO.

·
5,820 Posts
I agree that BOS is harder to remove, certainly more than my Blitz Carnauba. Sure is beautiful when you finally get it off though, and no chalking. I used very little BOS to do the whole car. At some point I'm going to try the Blitz with the PC, mash and melt I suppose.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
I revisited BOS recently last week, decided to throw a coat on top of an already-applied 2 coats of P21S carnauba. Again, I used very alittle, and used the PC. I wanted to test the Pep boys bonnets over the top of the sheepskin pad that comes with the PC. It was still very difficult to remove even with the wax removal bonnets, and it took two bonnets just to do the hood alone. I ended up spritzing the area's that wax would not come off with some Speed shine, and it lifted up remarkably well. Thus, my recommendation that anytime you finish a wax job, take the 5-10 min. and do a complete Detail spray on the whole finish, you'll really like the results and hazing is no longer a factor, regardless of wax used.

In the future, I will probably not use bonnets. I'll stick to the MF towels for the wax removal stage, followed by Detail spray and cotton towels.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I've actually seen the opposite, Carnauba wax being harder to remove than BOS. The BOS, as HACK has pointed out, gets even better with multiple coats. The hassle of applying the Carnauba has me leaning toward BOS myself.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
in_d_haus said:
I've actually seen the opposite, Carnauba wax being harder to remove than BOS. The BOS, as HACK has pointed out, gets even better with multiple coats. The hassle of applying the Carnauba has me leaning toward BOS myself.
Maybe I got a bad bottle? :dunno: Come over Doug I give you a demonstration side by side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.