BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Rip,

Hope you enjoyed your vacation, I know I missed your posts!

Way back when...you wrote this comprehensive thread on your detailing schedule (Rip's comprehensive detail thread ) and in the thread you mentioned 100% cotton towels.

Being the Griots addict I am, I purchased cotton towels and have used them exclusivly for speedshine and polish/wax removal. However, after last weeks detail clinic at the Carnuba store I purchased a couple microfiber towels (should be called miracle fiber) and think they are awesome.

In addition I was perusing the new Griots catalog and even Richard recommends microfiber over cotton.

What's your (and anyone else's) opinion?

Since last week's class I bought 1 green towel (for windows), 3 blue towels for Speedshine/Final Inspection, 3 Griots towels for polish and 3 Griots towels for wax removal. All different colors so I don't mix chemicals on the towels.

TIA for your feedback!:thumb:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Thanks for the Kudo's Chip!
I was very suspect of Microfiber towels, I had a swirl experience with them once, but I can't really say if the MF towel was the culprit. E36M3, a Meguiars rep, sent me a few M-MF towels and I tested them again side by side with Griots MF towels. They great! Both products. Just don't use the MF polish removal towel by Griots for appying the Speed shine, I think thats when I experience some "shedding" of fiber on the finish, use the cotton for the Detail spray, and leave the MF towels for the polish,wax removal.
:thumb:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ripsnort said:
Thanks for the Kudo's Chip!
I was very suspect of Microfiber towels, I had a swirl experience with them once, but I can't really say if the MF towel was the culprit. E36M3, a Meguiars rep, sent me a few M-MF towels and I tested them again side by side with Griots MF towels. They great! Both products. Just don't use the MF polish removal towel by Griots for appying the Speed shine, I think thats when I experience some "shedding" of fiber on the finish, use the cotton for the Detail spray, and leave the MF towels for the polish,wax removal.
:thumb:
Oh yea I remember you and E36M3 having a heated discussion about MF towels!:yikes:

Can always count on you for some good advice! My car is 1 year old this month so I'm trying to figure out when I will have time to do the "Rip's comprehensive detail on it. I have all the supplies, just need the time. I feel a sick day (home office day) coming on!

Have a great weekend!

Chip

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just used the meguiar's microfiber towels on Gary's suggestion in his post on microfiber. I have to say I'm impressed. Took the zaino right off--all with one towel. Then z6 all with one towel. About one quarter of the size of the full size cotton towel that Sal Zaino suggests. So they are very absorbent. Not a scratch either even with fairly rigorous "scrubbing".

eric

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eboller said:
.....Not a scratch either even with fairly rigorous "scrubbing".

eric
I agree. I just did the new black plastic on my motorcycle. This was a good test because there were absolutly no scratches on the new painted plastics. Used the microfiber towels for polish and wax removal and there are no visible scratches...

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I'm also very happy with Gary's suggestion to try Meguiar's MF towels. I've switched to using them for everything from cleaning the windows to detail spray to buffing off wax and polish. I haven't seen any scratches yet and I love how they don't leave lint all over like cotton does. Today, I detailed my car and finished off w/ some P21S wax that I buffed off w/ an MF towel. My car has never looked so good. I've also noticed that they seem to clean very well- i've washed them when they're very dirty and they've come out w/ no stains--unlike cotton towels.

I say go w/ Microfiber for everything--- lose the cotton! I'll never use cotton on my car again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.