BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new 2012 X5 w/ M-Sport package. Love the car, but I'm wavering on whether or not to buy the Road Hazard Coverage, priced at $1,895.

I searched on some threads on this Forum, but most on the topic are pretty old, or are not necessarily the same type of tire, so would love a fresh perspective.

My tires are 20" Bridgestone RF's . My gut tells me that the coverage is very expensive, on the other hand I've heard nightmare stories about people getting an extraordinary number of flats on RF's. Based on a quick call to the tire shop, a replacement tire will run ~$400 all in...and the guy who I spoke to at the tire shop suggested that the coverage might be worth it given that these tires have thin walls, and minimal flex...he's seen customers who have replaced >5 RF tires in a year.

I would love to hear what you guys think?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Do you own or lease? If you have a spare tire I would remove the RFT's and replace with non RFT's like Conti DWS. They have softer sidewalls, will last you 30k miles and will be less likely to make you bend a rim. I would absolutely 100% decline the wheel and tire insurance. I wouldn't even pay $300 for it. Total waste.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have 20s and not planning to get rid of my run-flats. I bought the coverage for $1319 (3 year lease). Covers tires and wheels. "No questions asked replacement policy".

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have 20s and not planning to get rid of my run-flats. I bought the coverage for $1319 (3 year lease). Covers tires and wheels. "No questions asked replacement policy".
No offense Harris, but why on earth would you do this? If you're leasing it makes far more sense to replace the RFT's with Conti DWS's, and then just put the original tires back on before you turn it in. Additionally, if you bend a rim you can buy a repllica rim (or even have it fixed). I think you could do all that for under $1319. Plus, you'll probably burn through 2 or 3 sets of Dunlop RFT's during your lease.

I believe most of these policies can be canceled for no penalty within the first few days. I would recommend considering this.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Self insure.

Just buy the 'per tire' road hazard policy when you need a new tire, or a new set. Once you get past the original OE tires, you will then have 'road hazard' coverage for $25 per tire or so.

Only morons buy tires from BMW dealers....

Agree with matt too...

:)

A

·
Registered
958 Posts
Self insure.

Just buy the 'per tire' road hazard policy when you need a new tire, or a new set. Once you get past the original OE tires, you will then have 'road hazard' coverage for $25 per tire or so.

Only morons buy tires from BMW dealers....

Agree with matt too...

:)

A
Yes, Ard put it better than I did. Self insure, that's the way to go on the wheel/tire thing.

·
Registered
529 Posts
No offense Harris, but why on earth would you do this? If you're leasing it makes far more sense to replace the RFT's with Conti DWS's, and then just put the original tires back on before you turn it in. Additionally, if you bend a rim you can buy a repllica rim (or even have it fixed). I think you could do all that for under $1319. Plus, you'll probably burn through 2 or 3 sets of Dunlop RFT's during your lease.

I believe most of these policies can be canceled for no penalty within the first few days. I would recommend considering this.
On my last BMW with runflats in 2008 I said no to the $800 wheel/tire plan and ended up changing tires 5 times due to damage in 3 years. My previous car (S4) did not have runflats and I passed on the tire/wheel coverage. Now that i'm back to BMW with runflats and low profile 20" wheels, I said yes this time. Yes it is not cheap but provides better coverage (including wheels), is more convenient and they will just replace the tire no matter what the thread level is.

I looked into Conti's but read some review where members said that concerning wasn't as good as stock runflats and the ride felt a little spongier. :dunno:

·
Registered
958 Posts
On my last BMW with runflats in 2008 I said no to the $800 wheel/tire plan and ended up changing tires 5 times due to damage in 3 years. My previous car (S4) did not have runflats and I passed on the tire/wheel coverage. Now that i'm back to BMW with runflats and low profile 20" wheels, I said yes this time. Yes it is not cheap but provides better coverage (including wheels), is more convenient and they will just replace the tire no matter what the thread level is.

I looked into Conti's but read some review where members said that concerning wasn't as good as stock runflats and the ride felt a little spongier. :dunno:
Well, I'd say that cornering ability and "sponginess" are relative terms. I mean, this is a Sports Activity Vehicle not a Porsche 911, so take that into consideration too.

For every post stating something negative about the Conti's, you can find five others saying how great they are. It seems to be universally agreed that the runflats suck regardless. If you're worried about the Conti's, there are other options too, like Toyo Proxes ST, and Vred's. I believe there is also a Michelin non-RFT too. If I were you, I'd cancel that warranty, get the new tires and just buy the tire warranty for about $20 per tire.

Obviously, it's your choice, so if you're content with what you have, that is all that matters :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
. . . but I'm wavering on whether or not to buy the Road Hazard Coverage, priced at $1,895. . . . I would love to hear what you guys think?...
My thinking is in line with ard's/Matt330i's reasoning.

The quote I got for "no questions asked" tire and wheel/rim five-year coverage was $1,880. My X5 is purchased, not leased.

Assuming you can get through the first set of factory-installed Dunlops without any problems (for 2012s I believe factory-install is Bridgestone Dueller), then you can do what ard is suggesting. See my Americas Tires receipt (attached) - I bought both "free replacement" (for any reason) and "lifetime spin balance/rotate and repair". Given my X5 has the staggered configuration, rotate is of no use to me on this X5.

I have been dealing with this Americas Tire shop for over ten years (EXCEPTIONAL customer service!) . . . this is my 16th tire from these guys! Typically Americas Tire (Discount Tires in some places) match Tire Rack prices. I told the guys they should do something more than just the sale price - they agreed to catch the "free replacement" on two tires if I purchased the rotate/balance/free repair on all four plus free-replacement on the other two tires. I agreed - and they caught the more expensive free-replacement for the rear tires. This freebie was adjusted into the tire price (i.e. lowered it). My total cost for all of this, and after the manufacturer's $100 mail-in rebate was $1,351.15.

Free replacement and balance/repair certificates are valid at all Americas Tire / Discount Tire shop in the U.S. Going forward, unless I bend my rims, I will have zero wheel related cost for the life of these Bridgestone Duellers.

Yes there might be a marginally better price elsewhere - I view the higher price I may have paid as the cost for the intangible stuff - exceptional customer service!

Going back to road hazard coverage, the quote I got was - Zürich Road Hazard Tire and Wheel policy, for tires and rims, 1 year to 5 years, 5-year coverage is $1880, max claim benefit of $5000, zero deductible. With the coverage I now have with Americas Tire, this road hazard coverage in effect becomes a wheel/rim coverage. Front rims are just under $700 from dealer, you might get cheaper ones elsewhere . . . i.e. for the road hazard coverage to make sense, you will need to bend at least three rims during the period this coverage is in effect!

Yes the coverage I now have took effect only after I went through the factory-installed set . . . odds of a $1,880 wheel/tire repair cost during that period is slim . . . ard's/Matt3301's "self insure" approach is indeed the way to go.

PS: My first choice was Continental DWS . . . but I have the third row and Contis do not come in RFTs . . . and I have zero desire to let a compact spare take up trunk space!:(

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
On my last BMW with runflats in 2008 I said no to the $800 wheel/tire plan and ended up changing tires 5 times due to damage in 3 years.
Lemme guess: you had this done at a BMW dealership and you believe the BS that runflats cannot be patched?

That is UTTER BS. The tire mfg rejects BMWs assertion that you should not patch. There is no technical reason for this, simply a legal risk management strategy and money making tactic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I replaced my Dunlop RFT with Conti DWS today... the cornering feels exactly the same to me... it feels like its glued to the ground. And I'm sure as it gets colder they will be better than the Dunlop summer only rubber would have been.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.