BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hosting Burns’ Dinner for five years, I get a break this year, and a good thing too because my little cottage (1,000 ft^2) is stretched to have two couples for dinner. This year Burns’ Dinner will be for ten.

The wives are cooking today while we gentlemen are researching and practicing our prayers and poetry reading. My poetic contribution this year is A Winter Night, my first assay into Burn’s social commentary. A neighbor with a great brogue will address the Haggis.

The menu is as traditional as we can make it. This year a faux-Haggis of seasoned hamburger and oats. Last year’s imported authentic Haggis was US$3 per ounce, $100 for imported ‘meatloaf’, not again! Guinness Stew, the most popular favorite. Cockaleekie. Neeps (turnips) and Tatties (mashed potatoes). Black molasses oat bread. Cranachan (raspberry, whiskey soaked oatmeal, heavy cream ‘parfait’). Short bread. Red and white wine with dinner.

Toasts with Glenlivet 12 followed by McClelland’s. Sortilège maple liqueur for the ladies / with dessert.

Robbie Burns wrote twice as much music as poetry and I’ve found two good albums.

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
Hey Appleby's rocks,
they closed the one at the top of my road,
Steak Sandwich to die for

used to take my daughter there for dinner after school, from 2 or 3 till it closed when she was about 6.

My wife's birthday is close. We're gonna go to Applebee's, sit in the exact same booth and order the same stuff as we did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A27nH_TtN3k

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
I thought I read or saw somewhere (possibly a youtube video, you know top 10' vids)
that Haggis was illegal to buy or sell in the US, because it is offal?

or was it black pudding ?

dunno ? :eek::eek::eek:

After hosting Burns’ Dinner for five years, I get a break this year, and a good thing too because my little cottage (1,000 ft^2) is stretched to have two couples for dinner. This year Burns’ Dinner will be for ten.

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
My polish friends many years ago had me over for dinner had they had haggis,
it was to DIE for (and the real stuff) as you say with neeps, tatties and a wee dram !

·
Nuclear engineer
17,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Haggis is traditionally poor people's food, made from what they had available. In this case, 'pluck', heart, lungs, liver minced with oats and herbs in a sheep's stomach. It's export is controlled for legitimate fear of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy BSE.

Meanwhile we Americans - some - still eat game and venison from Chronic wasting disease CWD, a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy TSE of mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk (or "wapiti"), moose, and caribou.

The human prionic disease is Creutzfeldt***8211;Jakob Disease CJD.

People mistake prions and prionic disease with 'infection', while prions are not life / alive / reproducing. Neither are they toxic. A prion is a misfolded protein of a type susceptible to misfolding caused by mere contact with a previously misfolded one.

The traditional American version of haggis is scrapple, Pennsylvania Dutch Pannhaas or "pan rabbit".

I'd sooner eat scrapple than at Applebees, for the help, not the food.

Lil' Bubber and I were bicycling from Charleston, SC to New Smyrna Beach, Florida in 2003 when we discovered the advantages of po' fo'ks' food in Folkston, Georgia. As noon approached, and we were fifty miles hungry, we saw a parking lot full of beat up farm trucks pickups so we knew it was good food. M&R Fried Chicken, 805 Burntfort Rd,Folkston, GA 31537 was a meat-and-three for about $5 and we filled up. At the end of that day we rode Fla-200 into Fernandina Beach, Fla. in drive time traffic and that was a blast!

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
that was it, the was a ban on meat stuffs from the UK because of Madcows / Creutzfeldt***8211;Jakob

·
Nuclear engineer
17,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
skean dhu
Or sgian-dubh.

My given name was Dhu Glas, dubhghlais, until 1160 when it acquired its modern spelling by William Lord Douglas. Dhu is black or dark, and Glas is grey as water is gray. My middle name is from Black Douglas' association with Robert I the Bruce, Raibeart Bruis.

My mother was a Page through Coffin, in America by Tristram Coffin. Sarah Coffin sailed to California on the compact Brigantine Cherry, née Belgrade, in about 1840. The house built from ***8216;Cherry***8217; stood into my lifetime to be remembered.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,825 Posts

·
Uniquely desultory
7,558 Posts
I thought I read or saw somewhere (possibly a youtube video, you know top 10' vids)
that Haggis was illegal to buy or sell in the US, because it is offal?

or was it black pudding ?

dunno ? :eek::eek::eek:
^ Sounds like tripe to me...

:angel:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts