BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought my first car a used 328is 5 months ago. The car had minor scratches at the back but not anywhere else. I washed the car about 2 weeks after I got it and everything looked fine. The second time I washed it after the water dried I noticed 2 rock/paint chips on the hood. Well everytime I have washed it since it seems like their is a new rock/paint chip on the hood and i'm almost 100% sure the majority of them haven't happened since I've owned the car. So my question is could the dealership have done some kind of waxing to make the chips look invisible, and over the time I have washed the car the wax has slowly came off? Cause I now have about 20 rock/paint chips on my hood and its really aggravating me and I don't have the money at the moment to get it repainted.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
They could have detailed the car such that they are less visible, but you can't hide them entirely. Question is - do you drive regularly in areas where debris can be kicked up in front of you - like interstates with less than perfect road surfaces, or where construction trucks regularly drive and drop small rocks and gravel on the road surface? If so, its possible that these truly are new nicks.

If you are patient and willing to learn how to do it, these can be repaired with touch up paint and some tools and products to refinish them. It won't be quite as good as a repainted hood, but close. Do a little searching here (and check the first "sticky" thread above) if you want to try it. A good paint shop may be able to do it for you as well without having to repaint the hood.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't usually drive on roads like that. I typically drive the car mainly on weekends.

Thanks I'll check that sticky at the top and have to give it a try. I'm not one to have good patience though. :dunno:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, I have a suggestion since I've been having pretty much the same problem with the car I just bought. I washed it for the first time and the paint looked okay, but there were tons of surface scratches and little rock chips on the front of the hood and around the grill that really bothered me. Because of this I decided to wax the entire car to hopefully make these less noticeable, but what actually ended up happening was I filled in every single little chip in the front of the car with wax, and even after repeating the process and quickly trying to get the wax out of the pits, it pretty much made them really visible when I could barely see them before.

What I just figured out the other day is that if you use a high gloss tire shine on these chips, it kind of soaks up the dry paint/wax and makes it so you can't see it anymore. Just spray the tire shine on a soft cloth and rub the area where all the chips are. It will leave behind a little bit of a residue, so have some glass cleaner handy to go over it afterward and remove the oily spots left over from the tire shine; this shouldn't remove the effect it had on the rock chips.

I'm not sure exactly how long this will last. I did this almost a week ago and it still looks exactly the same, so hopefully if you use good tire shine (not the kind out of an aerosol can) it will last at least a couple months. Luckily for me I work in a detail shop =] Let me know how this works out if you end up trying it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I might be doing some touch-ups too, I just went to pick my mom up at the airport. Coming home getting on the hwy a gravel truck bounced along beside me tossing a ton of stones bouncing all over, I could do nothing but brake and make sure I didn't get rear ended. I checked when I got home but its pouring rain, to hard to see. Hopefully there won't be any, lucky so far, no chips on the windshield. Is it best to get touch-up paint from the dealer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts