BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! i have a 2013 E92 m3 with about 9800 miles on it that i bought brand new. i only drive it in nice weather, no track time or other abuse. just wonderful NH mountain roads. i have heard that rod bearing may go bad on these cars. at what mileage are we talking about? over 100K?

also i have head about some type of throttle sensor or servo that is under the manifold (i have heard there are two of them.). any idea on these? i know i am a long way from any of these issue but i am just curious.

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Although the rod bearing issue can happen, I think its over hyped on forums.

For example, on another forum only 3 people reported issues:

- all were pre 2010
- 1 had been modified with a supercharger
- 1 had a remap
- people have suggested that most happen pre 40K miles, but not sure how much of that is true

In my view, if you keep away from mods that effect the engine and look after it (keep revs low until warm, keep up with services) I think the odds are good.

Saying that, a good warranty is always a good idea on expensive sports cars, as they can be expensive when they go wrong.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As Yaff mentioned throttle actuators and rod bearings get the most attention of all the M3 issues as they are expensive failures. If you can call forum comments "data", then it seems like TAs fail starting around 40-50k miles and up.

RBs are another issue all together. Folks have spun bearings as early as in the ~20k range. There really doesn't seem to be correlation to year or modifications. It is quite literally a roll of the dice from 2008-2013.

That said, Yaff's advice about a proper warm-up is 100% accurate.

For reference, I have 79k on my 2008 and it is on the original TAs and RBs. My latest oil analysis seems to point towards needing to have the RBs done preemptively. I'll see how my next oil analysis looks.

Long story short, you'll get plenty of fun out of her before you need to worry about anything significant.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 4 of 4 Posts