BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a clutch stop for my e39, and the car wont start or anything. Any ideas on how to get around this problem?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yup there is a sensor that triggers once the clutch is depressed to a certain point to allow the starter motor to activate. You can bypass this by simply twisting the wires together to fool the computer that the clutch is always completly pressed in and then adjust your clutch stop to whatever point you want it before it engages.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I ripped the switch apart, took out the spring, and taped it shut all the time. Now I never have to worry about it again and my clutch stop never has a problem. :eeps:

·
Registered
697 Posts
On my 99 528i I installed a rubber bump stop (Home depo) to extend the reach of the clutch pedal to where it meets the switch.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes it works fine, the cruise control uses a different switch. This switch is only for the starter, and serves no other purpose. The cruise switch is triggered as soon as the clutch is pressed in at all, and the starter kill switch only triggers if the clutch is depressed all the way to the floor.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you take off the plastic cover under the pedals, you'll see the switch by the clutch. It's very easy. I unplugged it for a closer look and figured out how to take it all apart and remove the spring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I created a "bump stop" as well by using small rubber washers with the hole in the middle that you find in the plumbing section of the hardware store. I stacked 2 flat ones and one beveled one on top of eachother, drilled a small hole in the plastic tab of the clutch pedal that engages the switch with a pin vice, and then used a countersunk screw to attach the stack of washers to the pedal tab. It works perfectly, is adjustable by adding or subtracting washers and is non-destructive and completely reverseable.

·
Registered
697 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.