BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok long story short my 01 z3 has been to the dealer for a seat problem twice. after inspecting there work i found that the drivers side sport seat has a wire loom under it that seams to be just laying there, i think i feel a wireing mount on the harness but can not feel where it should snap into or if it is supposed to i checked the pass side and it seems to be secured up under there, i ran the seat up and back and the wires seem to be ok (not binding or rubbing) i really dont want to remove the seat but in my quest for perfection (anal owner i am) i wnat it to be right. dealer is not a good option for me the gorrilas have the hammer mentality.
would you please feel under the drivers seat and feel the harness from the back side and fell if it seems to be secured i know yall have removed the seats before so i figured you would know. if it is supposed to be secured can you give me a idea of where the harness clip plugs into to mount it please help
max
im going nuts:banghead:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I wish I could be more help . . .

After doing enough bushing changeouts, you'd think I could recall perfectly how the harnesses are attached, but I have to admit, it's fuzzy now.

When I helped Roadsterwench, the passenger side had some of the harness tied to one of the frame bars that goes across the bottom near where the connectors mate. We did not re-attach it. I was not there when she did the driver's side. Her car also had the older multi connectors instead of the one large one. Send her a PM, maybe she can remember the driver's side.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
There is a clip that holds the bundle to a bracket on bottom of seat. Clip fits into a square hole and is a 45 degree turn type. (not 1/4 turn... 1/8 turn to release) Just like the ones under the hood that hold the washer nozzle supply lines (which I removed). You may have a different style of clip. There is also a slide-lock on top of the main connector. Yellow. I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, so I will confine my response to the clip.

This is what you need to do: Unbolt seat. Tilt back. Re-attach your harness to seat. Re-bolt seat. My instructions for seat R&R are on ToadFly. Ron has them on his site under fire extinguisher. Remember torque sequence matters on seats.

If you do not have clip or if you broke the clip, then use tie wrap. I think Andy did this. If the slide-lock is disconnected, just slide it into place. It has a self-locking feature.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Thanks Jon!

I have been somewhat negligent. I used Skin's DIY for the seat bushings and was not aware of the torque sequence for the seat. I'll print those instructions out and get them to the people around here I know that have done the seat rail bushing change.

Thanks again.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks one last queston

thank you all one last question is the mounting hole spot for the wire loom holder kinda close to the back side of the seat or is it way up under it i feel a square type hole very close to the back of the seat in te metal and its about where the old wire mount is is this the location of the hole to twist the harness holder into
max

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
JonM can correct me if I'm wrong . . .

but I think the one at the very back is for some of the passenger air bag sensor circuitry on the passenger seat. Check the back of your passenger seat and there should be small black box that attaches to that hole (like in the pic). There will not be one of those for the driver's side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Re: thanks one last queston

01silz3 said:
thank you all one last question is the mounting hole spot for the wire loom holder kinda close to the back side of the seat or is it way up under it i feel a square type hole very close to the back of the seat in te metal and its about where the old wire mount is is this the location of the hole to twist the harness holder into
max
It is way up under. It will be a PITA to find and will not be fun.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Re: JonM can correct me if I'm wrong . . .

scottn2retro said:
but I think the one at the very back is for some of the passenger air bag sensor circuitry on the passenger seat. Check the back of your passenger seat and there should be small black box that attaches to that hole (like in the pic). There will not be one of those for the driver's side.
You should not have to mess with that. Just the main wire harness in the center of the seat bottom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts