BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roof stopped working it unlocks but wont retract my question is will the roof unlock if the micro switch is faulty. If so I guess its the motor just require the answer for elimination.. if it will unlock whether good or faulty is there a way of overiding the switch . Thamks for any help

·
Registered
13,104 Posts
No, the roof won't unlock and if the storage tray microswitch is triggered the orange LED by the top control switch illuminates. Sounds like you have the classic pump motor failure issue. Here's the trouble shooting guide.
Blue Font Number Document Screenshot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick response I didn't want to go down the switch route if that was the case I get a red light on unlock I have checked the drain plugs they are clear so it's pointing to low fluid ..the manual override down is easy but the up seems to be fighting against the hydraulics I'll check the red loop is returning probably... been such a great car so far ...thanks again for your reply

·
Registered
649 Posts
If the hydraulic fluid is low you will hear the pump motor running at an elevated speed (cavitating) as the pump is not picking up enough fluid to do any work. But if there is no sound after the roof unlatches, the lift motor may be dead (red light flashing). Even though your drains are clear, the motor operates in a moist, non-ventilated environment making it prone to corrosion. Fortunately, it can be rescued and often revived with some effort, and it is also worth moving it to the trunk to preclude any further problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can hear the motor running and a red light appears...I'll try and check out the motor we have had a few very hot days in the UK recently the car is black so evaporation may have caused the fail .. thanks again for the reply and the valuable information provided
Regards Mick

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi Mick, just to clarify there are two roof motors, the first in the windshield header to latch/unlatch the top, and the second (the lift motor), to open and close the top. During the opening/closing operation, it is normal for the red light to come on when you press and hold the open or close button. The red light will continue to illuminate until the operation is complete (top fully open or fully closed), at which time the light switches off. This does not necessarily indicate a malfunction but that the top is not fully open (or closed, as the case may be).

The lift pump/motor unit is located down in the bodywork behind the driver's door. If you are hearing that motor run, that is good news, but if you are low on hydraulic fluid you likely have a small leak somewhere, and in order to service it you will first need to extract the unit from the bodywork. Hope this info helps, please post any updates.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the info I will try and get to the motor tomorrow..I let someone use the car and I think they may have forced the fluid causing a drop ...but given the posts regarding relocation it's obvious I need to address it ....yes I will report progress ....top man thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried to get to the motor from the boot but find no cavity as seen in some you tube videos the area is metal . Only access is over the top where the shelf fits .my car is 2008 2.0 there is no room to get there ..I guess the roof off is a major...can the manual overridRee open and close be performed by one person ...I'm 65 lol
Regards Mick

·
Registered
649 Posts
Mick, you are correct, unfortunately there is no way to access the roof motor in its factory location from the boot/trunk. You will need to remove the top, or at least elevate the front portion of the top from the body to access the cavity where the pump/motor unit is situated. There are several YouTube videos that can help if you wish to DIY. It's not super difficult, but after you do this job once many people (myself included) move the unit to the boot/ trunk where the lift motor is easy to access and will stay high and dry.

Regarding the roof bypass, the roof has some balance built into it so one person should have no problem opening and closing the top in bypass mode. Make sure to turn the red handle 90 degrees after you pull it out to lock it in bypass mode before you move the top. After the top is in the desired position, turn the handle back to the original position to take it out of bypass mode. Otherwise the bypass valve may get stuck in bypass mode permanently, which will be a problem when you get the lift motor fixed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again thanks for your detailed response you are certainly a font of knowledge. I will see how difficult the by pass is before I start thinking about the pump .I certainly appreciate your replies.
Kind regards Mick

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you go to the DIY section on this website there are instructions on how to do this specific motor replacement. Shipkillers original instructions and then dc_wrights amended/follow up instructions are excellent.

I’d take an afternoon to scroll through this to familiarize yourself with what is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info I'm pretty sure it's a fluid problem I can hear the motor going and all unlatch latch windows all work fine .I was thinking about getting an inspection camera and see if there is room to angle grind out a port hole...I don't have a garage so a roof off and on maybe too much given British weather lol....I'll check out the link thanks for your post I'm really impressed with the forum people are so helpful.
Kind regards Mick

·
Registered
649 Posts
This is a pretty good video on getting the pump motor out without removing the top.

If you just want to have a look, there is a rubber molding/insert just behind the top rear edge of either door that you can pop out to get an inspection camera in there. But as you will see in the video, the pump/motor unit is encased in foam soundproofing so there may not be much to look at.

·
Registered
13,104 Posts
That's a very good video I will probably have a go at that I take it the hydraulic top up is on top of the motor . A great link thanks again
Correct, the fill port is on the very top of the pump assembly as shown in this picture. In the OEM location, the pump reservoir should be approximately half full. (If you move it to the trunk, most find that it requires a 3/4 full fill to ensure the pump ports aren't exposed to air.) When you want to see what a part looks like, you can look up the part number on realoem.com or bmwfans.info, then go to the ECS Tuning website and find the part. They take multiple angle photos of most of the parts they sell, so good reference site. Not the best place to buy from (there's a "Why I Hate ECS Tuning" Facebook group), but bless them for taking and posting the pics. :) Genuine BMW - 54347193448 - E85 Z4 Hydraulic Motor For Folding Roof (54-34-7-193-448) (ecstuning.com)
Gas Automotive design Font Cylinder Machine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Appreciate your reply and the input you have given ...I'm gaining confidence in attempting the job ...it does seem a bad design error but I suppose boot space is at a premium in soft tops ..if I get there it will certainly be moved to the boot... The alternative to taking the whole roof off is certainly a benefit...
Regards Mick

·
Registered
649 Posts
Good deal Mick. It has been suggested that the integated top/motor was packaged to make life easier at the assembly line, where it could be dropped in as a complete unit. Of course, the same design makes it harder to service, and the most challenging part by far is getting that pump out of the drain cavity. There are a couple ways to attack this. I found it easier to stand behind the car in a crouch and reach in than to lie on my back in the trunk. If you add some support under you it is somewhat better, but if all else fails get that hyperactive kid (there is one on every block) to crawl in there. As mentioned, there may be zip ties to contend with, including one at the bottom that may be impossible to see without an inspection camera. Be patient, and you will succeed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Motor found and half way out ... don't seem enough pipe cannot get the bottom part out of the motor reservoir the pipes seem to go under and thro... can't find how it's fixed to bulk head... mine is 2008 uplift did they change how it's fixed ...it's not moving at all and I cannot get any play with the pipes...
Regards Mick

1 - 20 of 31 Posts