BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,103 Posts
Motor found and half way out ... don't seem enough pipe cannot get the bottom part out of the motor reservoir the pipes seem to go under and thro... can't find how it's fixed to bulk head... mine is 2008 uplift did they change how it's fixed ...it's not moving at all and I cannot get any play with the pipes...
Regards Mick
Several DIYs here that show the motor, the housing, and how the hydraulic lines are routed. (4) Z4 DIY Guides (Post links here) | Page 6 | BimmerFest BMW Forum

·
Registered
649 Posts
Design is same for 2003-2008, it sounds like the foam motor insulation is still in place. It's been a few years since I did this job, but I believe the foam around the motor has a top and bottom half, held together with zip ties and/ or tape. Once the top half is removed you will see the motor exposed with the hydraulic pipes. At this point you will still have a hidden zip tie holding the motor down. You must find a way to cut the zip tie or pry up on the pump motor until the tie breaks. After that the pump unit should lift out.

·
Registered
649 Posts
No worries, it is a PITA but will come out with enough determination (and beer).
This thread may be helpful

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have the motor out but I cannot get the bottom of the housing out I have tried most things to get it out it seems trapped by the fins at the back . Its very tight cannot get any leverage I was tempted to try and put a hacksaw blade but with the amount of pipes I declined. Now thinking of taking the roof off just worried about the wind noise if its not an easy refit ... I have a little movement but not enough to put pressure on the tie wrap..re the bottom of the housing and have pipes on 3 sides.
Any advice gratefully received
Regards Mick

·
Registered
649 Posts
Mick, it is not that many more steps to remove the roof, and may be your best option at this point. When you remove the roof the pump will come up with it as an integral unit. There is no need to fear excess wind noise after the reinstall as you are not doing anything to upset the seals or tolerances.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks again for the info my other concern is how tight the hoses are they seem to run under the container...I have looked at a few videos and it looks a DIY job so fingers crossed....
Thanks again

·
Registered
13,103 Posts
Is it possible to take the back section of the roof off without the whole lot just need to get to the motor housing from above .any ideas
Regards Mick
You can separate the rear part from the body. Instructions are available in Shipkiller's how to remove your top DIY. That might give you a better view of the motor housing, but don't expect to get a lot more space to work in.

·
mmoffitt
87 Posts
This is a pretty good video on getting the pump motor out without removing the top.

If you just want to have a look, there is a rubber molding/insert just behind the top rear edge of either door that you can pop out to get an inspection camera in there. But as you will see in the video, the pump/motor unit is encased in foam soundproofing so there may not be much to look at.
VERY NICE!!!looks like the best quick and dirty way to do it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I think the roof needs to come off there is no slack on the hoses and the bottom of the container is solid ....must be a strong German tie wrap on the job lol .... appreciate your reply

21 - 31 of 31 Posts