BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a new 2011 X3 from the dealer that was in-stock, it was close enough to what I wanted, however one of the things it did not have was the $150 satin roof rails option.
So all it has is this thin rain gutter that runs from front to back on both sides.

I'd like to have a roof rack at some point this winter and was wondering what the options are.
At the BMW dealer they told me there is nothing available if the car didn't have the factory installed rails, and at the local roof-rack shop (Rack Attack) they told me they would need to install tracks on the roof (ie, drill into it).

I just find it hard to believe there isn't a product available that clips into that rain gutter. It almost seems like it's made for it.

Any experiences or recommendations?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I could be wrong.....

(it has happened a "few" times in 56 years) but I believe with manufacturing processes being what they are that you may be able to add the missing roof rails to your X3 by purchasing them over the parts counter with all the appropriate mounting hardware & Trim. I am nearly certain that all the mounting points are already there and it is just a matter of removing the filler trim strips on the roof to install the roof rails and then installing the proper trim associated with the roof rails to complete the finished or Factory installed look. You might try realoem.com with your last 7 digits of your VIN to see if you can find the parts needed for your vehicel. Also check out other forums or google Adding factory roof rails or similar search phrase to see what is out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the referral to the realoem site, very useful. So now I ended up with this link:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=WX53&mospid=52681&btnr=51_8294&hg=51&fg=95
which shows me exactly what I need, and I don't mind getting it straight from the dealer at cost, however how does one get the EBA (german for assembly instructions) referred to on the realoem site?

In this case EBA 2217890, definitely no Google search that seems to come close there.

PS The reason I asked on this forum about possibilities is because the sales person told me it would be a LOT more expensive to add after wards, in the order of $1000,- part+labor. (compare to $150 as option).

Thanks,
Martin

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it were me I'd ask the parts person if they would print out the assembly instructions. Sometimes they will and sometimes not. I have a conection through the E30 M3 community that is a BMW parts person I can check with if you run into a dead end. Your other alternative is to seek out a body shop that will work with you. They have to deal with this type of things all the time. I would think that if the dealer has a body shop they might be willing to give you some advicce. You may need to also purchase new trim strips to fit the newly installed roof rails too and they just might need to be painted to match your vehicle. Perhaps you can work out a deal if you pay them to paint the strips and they show you how to install them. From the looks of the hardware I am guessing it all can be done from outside the vehicle so you don't have to pull the headliner down. If you want me to check with my source for the assembly manual I'd need the last 7 of your VIN to give him. It might take a few days to get in touch with him too. I'll do what I can to help you out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks M3Woody, very much appreciated. I'm in no rush, so if you don't mind asking your connection that'd be very much appreciated.
The last digits of my VIN are ..L715420.

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll put a note on the E30 M3 SIG that I need to have him email me. Once he does I can give him the info and see what he can do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good news..... maybe!

Tischer BMW has a better price here:

https://www.trademotion.com/partloc...ge&partid=967900&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462

I got a reply from my guy on the E30 M3 SIG. He included the instructions for the install. Unfortunatey the most difficult part of the install they did not address and that is removing the headliner. It just says to remove the headliner per another BMW document and he is attempting to find that for me.

After removal of the headliner the installation is extremely simple. Remove the filler strips to access the rail mounting area. Rails have 3 studs on them which drop though holes and then nuts get put on them from underside of the roof. Then re-install headliner.

Hope this helps......

I will let you know if can get any more info for you

Woody

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also purchased a pre-built X3 without the optional roof rails thinking that the $150 option could easily be added after the car was in my driveway. I was absolutely shocked to find that the two rails plus 6 securing nuts could be ordered from the parts counter for a measly $700, or thereabouts in Canada -WOW !!!!!. The kit price is almost acceptable from "getbmwparts.com", so instructions on headliner removal would be appreciated. They seem to quote 1.5 hours install time with the kit. I think full headliner removal would not be necessary (eg. sunroof area) but it needs to be peeled back from the A, B, and C pillars near the doors in order to secure the three nuts on each roof rail. Any support info provided would be truly appreciated. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts