Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We drive 2015 X3, M sport, which has OEM, roof rails and cross bars. (rails).
I am looking to purchase a Thule Force Cargo Box XL: 84"x34.5"x17" weight 44lbs'.
Rated to carry 165lbs.

Would appreciate comments on the following: Can the OEM roof rails and cross bars support
this set up.

According to the instruction manual for the cross bars for models built after 11/10 the roof rails are to be in very specific location: Front cross bar approx. 450mm(17.7") from the front edge of the roof rail. Rear cross bar to be placed approx. 710mm (27.9") from the front cross bar.

Is this written in stone or is there some wiggle room, to adjust the cross bars to accommodate the cargo carrier?

Any information and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2011 X3 with the factory bars and a Yakima Skybox 21 (it's a monster). I mount the rails where needed for the Skybox, never had a problem. For my Q7, on the other hand, for the factory bars there are alignment holes the bars go into, so there's no flexibility whatsoever. Of course, with a third party set of bars, like Thule or Yakima, they'd just slide forward or back along the rails. Kinda regretting getting the factory rails for the Q7, as I'm not sure the Skybox will fit.

Check your rails - if there are no slots, you can probably move the feet to suit the box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts