BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
See this reply from other post, pretty much the same opinion as my INDY.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1183385

I made the same discovery on mu 2007 X3 si and took it in to an indy I trust. They re torqued the oil lan slightly. He said the job is so big and the leak so minor it***8217;s best to leave it alone for now. I have 115K. This was two months agoand the car hasn***8217;t really needed any oil so I think he was dead on.

Sent from my iPhone X using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
115 Posts
The INDY said it will cost $4000 CAD for a head gasket replacement. How much for a used engine?
Just to give you an idea, a used engine will cost about $1200-1500 CAD depending on how many km it has.

There is a place in Milton that you can get it from. The owner is a super good dude and huge BMW enthusiast

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Just to give you an idea, a used engine will cost about $1200-1500 CAD depending on how many km it has.

There is a place in Milton that you can get it from. The owner is a super good dude and huge BMW enthusiast
Wow, Thats a really good price for an used engine. Can you ping me the owner in Milton? Thanks. I am not using it now but just keep it for future.

·
Anti-Hack
5,761 Posts
Shouldn't have to pull oil pan to do the rm seal. I suspected my rm seal was leaking prior to doing my oil pan gasket. It wasn't. The way these oil pan gaskets fail, you can end up with oil all over the place, but especially the rear corner of the oil pan where it looks like it might be running down from the rm seal. My bet is you've got an oil pan gasket failure that is fooling your indy (not that he's a fool - oil leaks can be very deceiving). The oil pan gasket on the N52 is simply not robust enough to last for a long time. It uses a very thin rubber that hardens over time becoming incapable of sealing.

AM.
You may be right on the pan, front seal doesn't require it, but definitely need to pull the trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Pull or Swing an engine or transmission is out of my ability for now, maybe my indy is not able to do it neither.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Have you check the oil filter housing gasket? That and the oil pan are the most often leaking gaskets.

Reactions: kind16

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Have you check the oil filter housing gasket? That and the oil pan are the most often leaking gaskets.
Indy said it was checked, no leak. How can i verify?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
So, that's about $0.22/mile for maintenance and repairs. That's high, and would be psychologically painful. But, less so when you consider was deprecation on a new X3 would be.

Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 depreciated just about $10k in the first year and 10k miles, $0.992/mile. The second year should be down to about $0.50/mile.
Yes. Any calculation, summary, post or comment titled "Ownership Costs" should include depreciation. It's not hard to calculate, simply purchase price minus current realistic cash-in-hand selling value. The key word there being "realistic".

If you really want to be comprehensive, as a stand-alone figure it should also include opportunity cost on the initial outlay. Depreciation easily beats maintenance in $$ terms but once you calculate Opportunity Cost for more than 5 years you start to realise new vehicle ownership of any brand is a sign of of insanity.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Yes. Any calculation, summary, post or comment titled "Ownership Costs" should include depreciation. It's not hard to calculate, simply purchase price minus current realistic cash-in-hand selling value. The key word there being "realistic".

If you really want to be comprehensive, as a stand-alone figure it should also include opportunity cost on the initial outlay. Depreciation easily beats maintenance in $$ terms but once you calculate Opportunity Cost for more than 5 years you start to realise new vehicle ownership of any brand is a sign of of insanity.
That last paragraph will cause heart attacks on a auto forum. Please remove promptly

It is a very uncomfortable truth, your depreciation cost is current value of price paid less residual, not price paid.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)

All right, let me add the depreciation cost, bought it at 15k CAD including tax, now it worth 8K CAD only, so, total 7K depreciation for this 2010 X3.

Not quite sure how to calculate opportunity cost...

I can't edit the OP now, the cost can't add into the first page.
But I think my cost is quite common for a new used BMW owner, got rip off by some of the mechanics... I got a friend own a 2007 328xi, he got a 15K repair bill for last 2 years, the reqair cost is more than the car values but he bit the bill.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts

Opportunity costs should be calculated using the current years' book value, not the initial outlay. Also, when coming up with the opportunity cost rate (%), you should consider income tax (on interest) and inflation. Doing that, the opportunity cost rate is near 0%.

I've crunched numbers for 40 years. I still buy new cars. But, I take care of them and keep them a long time (an average of about nine years and almost 120k miles). As I get older, I have more cars (three cars for two people) and drive less. So, my ownership time will got up.

I call my ownership costs "MDI&P:" maintenance, depreciation, interest (including opportunity cost and financing cost), and property tax. For my $73k MSRP 2014 535i, the MDI&P for the first five years and 57k miles has been right at $1.00/mile. But, the next few years will be easier to handle, probably around $0.50/mile.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
My 1999 Volvo bought new for 30k is now worth about 1000 with 250k miles on it

If I had put that money into the SP500, it would 90k today.

The app cost of owning that car is 90k USD/250k miles

If you pay someone to manage your money, your opp cost of ownership goes down!

:-D

·
Anti-Hack
5,761 Posts
My ‘84 GMC new was around $6k. Today it’s insured for $5k. That’s a $12k drop in value, but the appreciation of having a working truck that’s needed little more than fluid changes in 35 years is infinitely valuable. If I’d invested that money, I’d have a bazillion dollars, less all the costs of having to rent or pay people to do truck things. Not to mention loss of income due to not having transportation to a job... we can do this all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My '84 GMC new was around $6k. Today it's insured for $5k. That's a $12k drop in value, but the appreciation of having a working truck that's needed little more than fluid changes in 35 years is infinitely valuable. If I'd invested that money, I'd have a bazillion dollars, less all the costs of having to rent or pay people to do truck things. Not to mention loss of income due to not having transportation to a job... we can do this all day.

Wow, 35 yrs old truck...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Updated maintenance cost.

Bought the car in Jun. 2017 at 87K km
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan. 2018
Final Drive Assembly

Sub Total 2,226.69 CAD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June. 2019 Indy.
Rear rotor 400+tax = 452
Cabin filter
Rear Pad 210+ tax = 227.3
Valve cover gasket 610.16 + tax = 689.48
Sub Total, 1140 CAD
June. 2019 DIY

Added Kiney grill color inserts to made it looking better
Sub Total, 20 CAD
Sept. 2019
6.2 Liter Engine oil + filter DIY = about 80 CAD
CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 BMWLL01
Sub Total, 80 CAD
Sept. 2019
Transfer case fluids flush DIY
TRANSFER CASE FLUID TF0870,1L

Sub Total, 40 CAD
Oct. 2019
Change Rear diff oil DIY
Titan Tools 16141 Low Profile Stubby Metric Hex Bit Socket Set - 9 Pieces 30 CAD
FUCHS SINTOPOID 75W90 1L X2 (Actually only used one bottle) 45 CAD
Sub Total, 75 CAD

TOTAL, 3500 CAD so far

TO DO items,
Flush Tranny fluid DIY
Change front breaks pads and rotor DIY
Change 4 tires COSTCO
Change Rear Main Seal or oil pan gasket (Not head gasket, communication issue, my fault), but indy said let it leak for couple years...

Millage in km,
Jun2017-87K,
Jun2018-94K,
Nov2018-101K,
Jan2019-105K,
Sep2019-112K

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Oct. 2019
Change Rear diff oil DIY
Titan Tools 16141 Low Profile Stubby Metric Hex Bit Socket Set - 9 Pieces 30 CAD
FUCHS SINTOPOID 75W90 1L X2 (Actually only used one bottle) 45 CAD
Sub Total, 75 CAD
Oct. 2019
Change front breaks pads and rotor DIY
Sub Total, 260 CAD
June. 2020
Oil pan gustket and clean up engine bay for the smeall INDY
1350CAD
June. 2020
transimission oil flush DIY
100 CAD

Total repair cost 5250 CAD for 4 years.

Millage in km,
Jun2017-87K,
Jun2018-94K,
Nov2018-101K,
Jan2019-105K,
Sep2019-112K
Mar2021-120K

·
Registered
162 Posts
So, that's about $0.22/mile for maintenance and repairs. That's high, and would be psychologically painful. But, less so when you consider was deprecation on a new X3 would be.

Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 depreciated just about $10k in the first year and 10k miles, $0.992/mile. The second year should be down to about $0.50/mile.
That’s actually $0.17c per mile if you’re converting as a comparison to your miles AND your US dollars.

That referred to the comment back in Sept 2019.

As of the current mileage reported (33,000kms traveled & CAD5,250) that now works out as (near as dammit, to the US$0.22cpm) at US$0.205cpm.
Pretty damn cheap when you make a comparison to the sunk-cost of buying new or near new.
Great to see real world costs to put some reality check to “past the warranty” fears.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've got $5 on the oil pan gasket leaking rather than the rear main seal. Change the motor mounts while your in there.

·
Anti-Hack
5,761 Posts
At 175k miles, and some big ticket items like a custom driveshaft last fall and a brand new OE fan, my maintenance cost is currently sitting at $0.07/mile. That doesn’t include depreciation because that is something I don’t care about; I typically run things until they turn to dust, then glue the dust back together and keep running it. I keep things so long they start appreciating again.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts