41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Changed new tires today.

General 365 All Weather tires.

830 CAD including tax and installation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct. 2019
Change Rear diff oil DIY
Titan Tools 16141 Low Profile Stubby Metric Hex Bit Socket Set - 9 Pieces 30 CAD
FUCHS SINTOPOID 75W90 1L X2 (Actually only used one bottle) 45 CAD
Sub Total, 75 CAD
Oct. 2019
Change front breaks pads and rotor DIY
Sub Total, 260 CAD
June. 2020
Oil pan gustket and clean up engine bay for the smeall INDY
1350CAD
June. 2020
transimission oil flush DIY
100 CAD
June. 2021
General 365 All Weather tires.

830 CAD including tax and installation

What amazing is, it elimated the bad smell of the AC
Total repair cost 6080 CAD for 4 years.

Millage in km,
Jun2017-87K,
Jun2018-94K,
Nov2018-101K,
Jan2019-105K,
Sep2019-112K,
Mar2021-120K,
Jun2021-121K

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
At 175k miles, and some big ticket items like a custom driveshaft last fall and a brand new OE fan, my maintenance cost is currently sitting at $0.07/mile. That doesn’t include depreciation because that is something I don’t care about; I typically run things until they turn to dust, then glue the dust back together and keep running it. I keep things so long they start appreciating again.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Duke, I don't how many years until I am able to reach 175k miles :)

For me, I value it by its age. thank you for the reply, you always rocks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I've got $5 on the oil pan gasket leaking rather than the rear main seal. Change the motor mounts while your in there.
Yes, you were right, thank you

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That’s actually $0.17c per mile if you’re converting as a comparison to your miles AND your US dollars.

That referred to the comment back in Sept 2019.

As of the current mileage reported (33,000kms traveled & CAD5,250) that now works out as (near as dammit, to the US$0.22cpm) at US$0.205cpm.
Pretty damn cheap when you make a comparison to the sunk-cost of buying new or near new.
Great to see real world costs to put some reality check to “past the warranty” fears.

Yes, pretty cheap compare to sunk cost of buying new or near new. I am not a handy man and will not ganna be one. Just try to find a good indy to do the complex job. I only did the oil change :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I am totaling up the only parts I have put on our E83 as

springs $100
indie valve cover , gasket, vanos hose while I was in Tehran $1000
front refresh $800
fuelpump cannon ball $335
tone Ring $5
brakes x 3 $500

about $3000 over 150,000 miles

2 cents per mile for this ride!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I am totaling up the only parts I have put on our E83 as

springs $100
indie valve cover , gasket, vanos hose while I was in Tehran $1000
front refresh $800
fuelpump cannon ball $335
tone Ring $5
brakes x 3 $500

about $3000 over 150,000 miles

2 cents per mile for this ride!
That was great, you did it all by yourself. Perfect ride!!!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I’m somewhere between 8 and 9 cpm over the last 250k or so miles.

The first 3 years was nothing but a set of tires and basic fluid changes above the bmw extended warranty and bmw extended 100k maintenance plan (trust me I got my money’s worth on those).

Year 4 on has been pretty reliable to be between $1,500 to $2k a year in upkeep. It’s been pretty darn reliable and frankly anything that fails is predictable for example every item below will need to be done by any owner of an N52 engine at one point…

Water pump/thermostat *
Cooling expansion tank/trans thermostat *
OFHG/belts and tensioner *
Coil packs *
Vanos solenoid **
Crank Case position sensor *
Valve cover gasket and vanos motor gasket **
Oil pan gasket **
Xfer case actuator **
Steering angle sensor**
Maf sensor **
Starter **
O2 sensor *
CV boots *

Single * means it’ll go between 150k-200k miles
Double ** means it’ll go between 200k-250k miles

My first 150k was trouble free except warranty repairs (one was a one off extremely rare failure in warranty)

Issue is people out of warranty ignore the list and move them into the used market giving the bmw a bad name for reliability. Most used examples are basket cases worthy of Hoovies Garage for YouTube views for this reason.

Yeah if you own it 12 years (like me) and add up your receipts you’ll shake your head but beats a car payment and frankly who cares? These are super reliable cars that are worth keeping on the road. Mine drives as good as the day I watched the dealer take it off the truck from Austria with 3 miles on the ODO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
4,083 Posts
Yes, pretty cheap compare to sunk cost of buying new or near new. I am not a handy man and will not ganna be one. Just try to find a good indy to do the complex job. I only did the oil change :)
Hats off to you and your lucky BMW...smart!

Sent from my 9029W using Tapatalk

41 - 49 of 49 Posts