BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno:1986 325 ES: I am sure I am not the first person this has happened to. Drivers side rear wheel- the rotor hold down bolt is stripped. I tried fitting larger Allen Wrenchs into it to get it off, but the head is stripped now. What do I do? Drill it out? Is there any magic bullet? If I do drill it out, just how do I do that?:dunno:

·
Banned
0 Posts
That sucks. Ive drilled one out before and its a biatch. Use a good bit a little bigger than the bolt shaft size, some cutting oil, and go after it. The lug bolts hold the rotor secure from that point forward. Its drilling through the hub that is difficult.

Next time, invest in a impact wrench. Totally eliminates stripped rotor retainer bolts.

Edit: correct term would be "impact driver"

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
:dunno:1986 325 ES: I am sure I am not the first person this has happened to. Drivers side rear wheel- the rotor hold down bolt is stripped. I tried fitting larger Allen Wrenchs into it to get it off, but the head is stripped now. What do I do? Drill it out? Is there any magic bullet? If I do drill it out, just how do I do that?:dunno:
I got by using a larger torx bit. I used a hammer and kinda tapped it in there (it was a little big) and then I got just enough grip to get it out. Otherwise you can drill a hole in it and then use an "extractor" kit. It's basically a reverse drill bit.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
cut a slot in it so it like a screw?:dunno:

·
obsessed
806 Posts
I got by using a larger torx bit. I used a hammer and kinda tapped it in there (it was a little big) and then I got just enough grip to get it out. Otherwise you can drill a hole in it and then use an "extractor" kit. It's basically a reverse drill bit.
this is good. i used the bigger bit and hammered it in then heated it up with a torch and got it. the reverse bit is also good. tap and dye bit set.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Guy..just go the hardware store and pickup a tool call easy out..they tap in to the existing screw and it turn the opposite way so it will be O.K. Give it a try..Good luck.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guy..just go the hardware store and pickup a tool call easy out..they tap in to the existing screw and it turn the opposite way so it will be O.K. Give it a try..Good luck.:thumbup:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't and "easy out" the same as a screw extractor? In any case, I am getting ready right now to go out and do it. I did buy a: CRAFTSMAN Screw-Out Screw Remover No. 2.

I like the torx head idea, but I do not have a set of torks that goes as large as the screw. It is a number 10 screw I think. I might try the 'bang it in" idea with some allen wrenches.

I do not have a torch to heat things up. I think it is about time I taught myself how to use one.

Thanks Guys. I will let you know what happens.

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
Those things are so soft they will strip out even if you coat them with anti seize. The part that usually is fused and keeps it from backing out is the bolt head itself, not the threaded shaft. Find a bit almost as big as the bolt head and drill. when you get the outside walls of the bolt head kida thin and have a good cone shape going on take a flat head and a hammer and tap it in between the screw head and the rotor to fold the remaining bolt head wall inward. Now tap the screwdriver on that ridge you made the way it unscrews. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those things are so soft they will strip out even if you coat them with anti seize. The part that usually is fused and keeps it from backing out is the bolt head itself, not the threaded shaft. Find a bit almost as big as the bolt head and drill. when you get the outside walls of the bolt head kida thin and have a good cone shape going on take a flat head and a hammer and tap it in between the screw head and the rotor to fold the remaining bolt head wall inward. Now tap the screwdriver on that ridge you made the way it unscrews. Rinse and repeat.
It is out, and that is close to what I did. You are right; they are real soft. I tried banging the torx head in, but it was so soft it started to get compromised. I did use the SEARS bit, and it worked great. Once I got the "cone shape" I got a pair of needle nose vise grips and attached them to the "wall" started to unscrew it, and it came out. Thanks guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts