BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

2001 530 sport

I followed the threads on this site and successfully changed my valve cover gasket and re built my vanos seals without a problem. I changed my sparks to bosch brand not NKG. The car started and ran with a rough idle. I drove a little and the service engine light came on. I pulled the battery to re set the computer. No change.

Once warmed up the idle flattens out and the car runs good. When cold the car sounds like it may be missing a little . Any advice on where to begin looking greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
Dis it do this before all the work? If not, something you did caused it.

The spec plug is NGK BKR6EQUP. Try a set.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Make sure the ground that goes from the coil harness to the valve cover grounding is tight. I have replaced a VCG before and had a misfire only to discover it was a loose ground.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Rough idle at cold start-up is usually misfire(s). Rebuilding your VANOS may or may not cure such a condition, in my case it did not. I have a '00 M52TU, and while giving my VANOS the Beisan treatment cured such cold start issues as RPM dip/occasional stall/occasional limp mode, it did not eliminate occasional misfires on cold starts. I've been studying the topic extensively, and chances are you have a vacuum leak somewhere. If all your hoses, etc. are good, it could very well be your intake gasket. As those gaskets go bad, when it's cold, it's not able to do it's job properly, but after it warms up, there's sufficient expansion to restore the seal. If this is your problem, the situation will only continue to deteriorate, as it takes warmer and warmer temperatures to keep that gasket functioning.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Make sure the ground that goes from the coil harness to the valve cover grounding is tight
Nice.

I'm going to add that to the misfire diagnostic tree:
- How to diagnose a typical BMW E39 engine misfire (1)

So far, after reading over a hundred misfire threads, I've added all that has been suggested, as best I could, so that thread is both complete and consistent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vacum leak???

Possible vacum leak.....????

There was a volentary recall on my 1999 528i in 2002 for hoses that were no good and caused a condition that you have explained.

Is it possible that during your gasket and vanos repair that a vacum hose may have been disrupted??

Just a thought.

Todd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts