BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have noticed my 730LD is shifting hard between 1-2 and then 2-3 when the engine is cold. When the engine warms up the gear shifting gets smoother.

There are no lights on the dash or warnings at all. The car is a 2010 year and has done 63K miles.

I have been told it could be the software or even the transmission requiring new oil. The car has only done 63k so transmission oil change seems unlikely to help or maybe will?

Also there are no transmission warnings or any OBC lights. Everything is fine as per the OBC.

Also note that as soon as the engine is warmed up, the shifting improves.

Mind you when i say a cold engine, its 10c here in the mornings. Im in the UK.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,890 Posts
I have been told it could be the software or even the transmission requiring new oil. The car has only done 63k so transmission oil change seems unlikely to help or maybe will?
60K to 75K miles is about right (if you want it to last). When doing that, make sure you replace the plastic pan, which houses the filter. Following the "lifetime fluid" recommendation means you'll be changing the fluid together with the transmission. :rolleyes:

I would try the gas pedal adaptation reset first. Turn on the ignition (all electronics on), press the gas pedal all the way for 30 seconds, then release and start the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Could it be the transmission itself? That's major damage right?

Also how would the pedal adaption help as the issue is with gear changing roughly which I believe is a transmission thing?

Lastly, there are no warnings at all, doesn't that mean the transmission is OK otherwise the transmission failure sign would comon.

Once I press the pedal for 30secs do I then switch off ignition or press break and start?

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,890 Posts
Could it be the transmission itself? That's major damage right?

Also how would the pedal adaption help as the issue is with gear changing roughly which I believe is a transmission thing?

Lastly, there are no warnings at all, doesn't that mean the transmission is OK otherwise the transmission failure sign would comon.

Once I press the pedal for 30secs do I then switch off ignition or press break and start?
Many errors are only stored but not shown, so it may be worth having a dealer run diagnostics and download FASTA data to check for any obvious issues. If the issue is something like the mechatronics adapter seal or sleeve leaking, it doesn't always result in an error.

The gas pedal reset clears driving pattern adaptations, which affects shift points and can make quite a bit of difference. After pressing the gas pedal for 30 seconds, press the brake to start the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
yes, you should have someone run/pull diagnostics codes using the BMW software. Trans codes may no show up, even as an error on the dashboard, it can be stored on a separate module.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.