BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.. today after driving about 10 miles i got back home. then just as i backed up into my driveway reverse i heard some weird noise coming from my engine and as soon as that happened the steering wheel got all weird and stiff. any ideas what it could be? i'm pretty clueless

·
GO FLYERS!!!
320 Posts
You need to be a bit more specific than "all weird and stuff"........did the wheel become difficult to turn? Do you hear a grinding noise when trying to turn the wheel? Sounds like you may have a PS issue and that could mean you need fluid in the system or that your pump is kaput. More details please.........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry about the bad description.
yes there is a grinding noise when i try to turn the wheel. when the wheel is straight there is a raddling noise in the engine. when i try to turn the wheel there is a lot of grinding and can't turn the wheel more than 45 degrees past straight on either side from right or left.
i checked the fluid and more than half of the reservoir is full so i don't think thats the problem
maybe its the pump?

·
Registered
396 Posts
sorry about the bad description.
yes there is a grinding noise when i try to turn the wheel. when the wheel is straight there is a raddling noise in the engine. when i try to turn the wheel there is a lot of grinding and can't turn the wheel more than 45 degrees past straight on either side from right or left.
i checked the fluid and more than half of the reservoir is full so i don't think thats the problem
maybe its the pump?
Did you take a look at the belt and pulleys. I remember I saw a thread where the pulley broke so the pump didn't have any power. Also try to fill up the fluid to the max recommended. We never know.

·
GO FLYERS!!!
320 Posts
Take a look at the belt and pulleys as recommended above. Remove the serpentine belt and try to turn all the pulleys.....water pump, alternator, idler, and the tensioner. They should turn with smooth resistance. Check the PS pump pulley to see if it is binding and the cause of the problem. Also try to pull the pulley out toward the front of the car because if your pump shaft sheared off the pulley will move forward (this is bad) and means the pump is done. It sounds like the PS pump is failing, but you want to eliminate the cheaper options first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.