BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Playing Mechanic At Home
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Have a bit of a problem. Bought all the parts to do the tranny flush, filter change and what not. Got the car up on jack stands (scary with 4K pounds over you)and inserted the 8mm Hex wrench into drain plug head, only to find that the whole is is stripped. Not only the drain plug but the fill plug as well. So the shop that did the tranny rebuild before i bought the car for the last owner, apparently stripped out the wholes.
So the next question is. WTF do i do. I read somewhere to take it to a welder and have them weld a 3/8 inch sqaure stock bar into each of the drain plugs and then i could just slip a socket over it and voila. However I dont know of any shops around the West Palm Beach Area. Second is that even safe to do with the other possibly combustible items (whatever they might be) in that vicinity? So i had a thought and wanted to pick the brains of the BMW Braintrust on the forum. What about epoxy. If i used the same 3/8 sqaure stock bar(pardon the terminology) and epoxied it into the drain plug head. Would epoxy have enuff strength to hold the insert in place without spinning...

Hope all of this made sense...

Thanks for any words of wisdom in advance...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
yeahhh s***t happens...I really hate when somebody over tides screws or they don't use the right tool when is time to take it off...

First, you need the right tool. The hex wrench that you stated for using is not the right tool. If the screw is over tided you will only do worse. Actually seems like somebody already did it for you..:thumbdwn:

You need to buy yourself a GOOD hex bit like in the picture attached, I will say a Craftsman or even Snap on. I personally prefer Craftsman.

If I were you I will first heat the tranny driving it couple miles, after that I will take the hex bit put it in place and take the hammer and give it a couple knocks . This is very helpful all the times. Take the a breaker bar and put pressure on the screw while turning. If the bit is turning again use one size bigger (use next inch size not the metric one) and again hammer it down in the screw. DO NOT USE EXCESIVE FORCE WHEN HAMMERING YOU MIGHT DAMAGE THE THREADS! I am doing this always to make sure that the bit is all the way seated and it will move just a tiny bit the screw too. If still not working you can try to heat the area around the screw with a torch.Only around the screw.

That should work for you..For me it did work all the time.

Good Luck !

Attachments

·
Playing Mechanic At Home
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joyism5,
Sorry for the mis stated Terminology. I used a set like you show in the picture. But bought at the local auto parts store. Ill go get a better set like craftsman or snap on. I take it they are stronger.
Ill give what you stated a try and see how she goes. I appreciate the step by step...

regards
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts